300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

2000 Chrysler 300M Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Default 2000 Chrysler 300M Tranny issues

I have a 2000 Chrysler 300M with about 100,500 miles on it. The other day as I was leaving my house and shifting from reverse to drive, tranny kind of shuddered and then shifted to drive. A minute or so later, the check engine light came on and the tranny would not shift out of second gear. I pulled the codes out of the computer and they were as follows, P0700, P0715, P0733, and P0731. I trired to do some research on them as to learn what was actually wrong with the tranny, but did not really find what was wrong. But what I did find, suggested that the input speed sensor is bad. Is this correct? How hard is it to replace? Where is it located? Any pics of location or breakdowns available? Any help or information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 09-16-2013, 12:50 PM

After doing more research on my own, I decided to replace the sensor myself. I went to my local Chrysler dealership and got the required sensors. I ended up replacing both, input and output. I figured, I'm already doing one, so I might as well replace the other at the same time. It would also eliminate any guess work as to which was the faulty one. Even though everything I read lead me to believe that the input sensor was the problem. They were relatively inexpensive. The part numbers are as follows 4800878 (Input) and 4800879 (output), I paid about $50 for both. You can also get them from most part houses too, however, after reading about these issues I was lead to believe that the aftermarket sensors fail more often than a factory one. Not to mention that they aren't that much cheaper than a factory one, at least not in my area. Probably $5-7 dollars cheaper. Since I don't like to do things more than once if I can help it, I went with the factory ones. Just needed a 1" deep well socket, swivel joint and a few extensions to get the job done. Took less than an hour from the time I put the car up, till I took it down and I even changed the oil as well!!! I will say that this job is best done with the exhaust cold!!!! Otherwise you might get burned. It's a tight fit for someone with big hands such as myself. But all in all it was an easy job!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Racer
After doing more research on my own, I decided to replace the sensor myself. I went to my local Chrysler dealership and got the required sensors. I ended up replacing both, input and output. I figured, I'm already doing one, so I might as well replace the other at the same time. It would also eliminate any guess work as to which was the faulty one. Even though everything I read lead me to believe that the input sensor was the problem. They were relatively inexpensive. The part numbers are as follows 4800878 (Input) and 4800879 (output), I paid about $50 for both. You can also get them from most part houses too, however, after reading about these issues I was lead to believe that the aftermarket sensors fail more often than a factory one. Not to mention that they aren't that much cheaper than a factory one, at least not in my area. Probably $5-7 dollars cheaper. Since I don't like to do things more than once if I can help it, I went with the factory ones. Just needed a 1" deep well socket, swivel joint and a few extensions to get the job done. Took less than an hour from the time I put the car up, till I took it down and I even changed the oil as well!!! I will say that this job is best done with the exhaust cold!!!! Otherwise you might get burned. It's a tight fit for someone with big hands such as myself. But all in all it was an easy job!!!
pretty good post i must say , there are quit a few other posts concerning transmission problems. However This just being my opinion those speed senors will cure 9o% of those transmissions problems out their. the other 10% are the cause of a faulty transmission module.