300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Mechanical linkage problem between ignition key cylinder and switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Default Mechanical linkage problem between ignition key cylinder and switch

I have a 1999 Concorde LXi with a particular problem in the ignition switch. The key did not turn all the way to the off position and can not come out when I parked the car. I tried wiggling the shifter (pushing it in as much as I could) to check if it was a "play" in the mechanical linkage to no avail. I ended up disassembling the steering covers, taking the key cylinder out, and then could take the key out of the cylinder. I then operated the shifter out and into park, and it seems to be working fine. The odd thing that is happening is that even when moving the internal linkage of the ignition switch (the part that links the cylinder to the electrical switch), it seems that something is not allowing it to turn completely to the "off" or the "Acc" position, unless the mechanical connector to the shifter is out of the way. Once I take the shifter connector out, then the switch can turn and I can place the ignition into the "off" and "Acc" positions. So I think something broke inside this rotating device that is not allowing it to turn completely. The other odd behavior is that, even when the in the "off" position, the car still shows the battery, the odometer and the shift icons lit, as if the computer would not recognize the ignition is in the "off" position.[]

I do not think this problem is either the cylinder or the ignition switch, but the mechanical linkage between the two. But looking into it, it seems as if I have to take the whole steering wheel appart to replace it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Please advice.

Carrion

Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mechanical linkage problem between ignition key cylinder and switch

take the ign switch out and see if u can see whats going on with that connecting rod.