300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Replacing alternator belt on 2004 Concorde lxi

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Default Replacing alternator belt on 2004 Concorde lxi

Hi everyone.

I need to change the alternator (serpentine) belt on a 2004 concorde LXI. Does anyone know how to do it? Thank you very much.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:46 PM

which motor is this?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Hey, how's it going? You helped me out with the valve body yesterday. Thanks. Today I went to have the car inspected and it failed because the serpentine belt is going bad. Anyway, the engine is a regular 3.5
I was able to loosen up the adjuster bolt and also the alternator itself. So with all this loosening up I was able to force-slide the old belt out. But now I can't get the new one in or even the old one back. Did I miss to loosen another place? thanks.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 PM

...You loosened the alternator....??????

Failed Inspection for a serp Belt???? Do they also have Martial law in your state???

Ok...anyway....Put the alternator bolts Back in..... Towrd the drivers side on the front of the motor is the tensioner pulley. 15mm nut in the center, and 13mm adjuster bolt at the r/s of the bracket On your left if your looking down at it)..... loosen the 15mm nut and theb the 13mm tensioner bolt, slide the tensioner pulley away from the belt.....

Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 PM

oops.....Sorry...the adjuster bolt is accessed from under the car. Got the perfect picture , but photobucket is screwing with me at the moment....

Ahh ..thats better.... #4 is the adjuster bolt...The rest of the procedure is the same

Belt

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 05-25-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 AM

Thanks for the picture. Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous too, to fail for a serp. belt. Anyway, what you showed me is exactly what I did, but with the tensioner screw I loosened it about 1 1/2 inches and it kinda stop, it would'nt go any further. I'm afraid to force it and then break something - although it seems like it should go out further. I'm saying this because it was loosening ok and then all of a sudden it just stopped, like saying to me "ok, stop, here, do go any further." so I had a gut feeling to do exactly that, Stop. Anyway, at that point I still had to force-slide the belt from pulley #3. But now, as it is, it's not loose enough to put the other one back in. Should I force on the adjuster screw and try to loose it further? And, is the new belt supposed to be a little tighter (shorter) than the old one?

And by the way, about the alternator, I just loosened its main bold so I could move it down a little to release more of the tension; otherwise with the adjuster screw alone I would not have been able to release the belt.

Again, thanks for your help.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:57 PM

4 15mm bolts takes the whole assembly off.....Lube it , clean it, make sure it works correctly and put it back.....

No..The new belt shouldnt be shorter..At least not to the point of "IT DONT FIT".

However...it is a fact of life when you deal with replacement parts, and the guy behind the counter..

Old 05-27-2011, 08:46 AM

Great! That's what I had to do; remove the pulley assembly off (only 3 bolts - easy.) and then lube it. About the belt, I was going to replace also the A/C belt but that one that I got is definitely not the right one, considerably shorter that what's on the car. I'm just going back to the store and get the right one and when I have time I'll take the whole thing off again and replace it. Isn't that funny working on cars. Sometimes what is supposed to be the hardest part is easy and what is supposed to be the simplest becomes a big problem. lol Anyway, thanks again, you're the best. Have a great day.

Oh, and by the way, my lawnmower just broke too. lol Now I'll be changing the serp. belt on that one too. lol