Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glow plugs and tension belt for alternator removal, how?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Default Glow plugs and tension belt for alternator removal, how?

I own a 2001 Chrysler grand voyager crd 2.5. English right hand drive. I have changed 3 of the glow plugs, on trying to extract the last glow plug from engine block i find that it will not clear the alternator rear casing and so i have to move it. I have released the 2 main bolts the secure the alternator to the bracket, but it still wont come out due to the belt being still attached. I guess i have to release the tension pulley, but I just dont know how to get to it. Do i get to the tension pulley from below the car or from the engine hood? And where is nut that I turn to release the tension from belt? All this to change a glow plug!! I mean to remove the alternator just to change a glow plug, seems a lot of trouble to me. I would really appreciate help here. Can any one direct me to some pictures of my cars engine or send them to me. thank you. Pauldmanning@blueyonder.co.uk

Old 12-12-2010, 12:34 PM

It's a spring loaded tensioner you just put a spanner on it and push to take off the pressure then remover the belt (do not undue the tensioner bolt) once the belt is off it's only the 3x 10mm bolts that hold a plate on top of the alternator and 2x 13mm bolts that hold the alternator to the engine.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
It's a spring loaded tensioner you just put a spanner on it and push to take off the pressure then remover the belt (do not undue the tensioner bolt) once the belt is off it's only the 3x 10mm bolts that hold a plate on top of the alternator and 2x 13mm bolts that hold the alternator to the engine.
Hello.
Thanks for that. Do I just lever the pulley without releasing anything? Also do i lever it from the top side, i mean the hood side, or do i get under car and remove the side panel that is clipped on with plastic clips? Sorry about this, but im just wanting to change the glow plugs, its proving harder than i thought. Dont forget mine is the 2001 grand voyager. Yes ive got the 3 bolts off the top and the 2 at the alternator bottom, i got that. Just cant see down into the various pulleys on the left of engine, very dark. lamp is no use at all. Thanks again friend. Where can I get a work shop manual for my car?

Old 12-12-2010, 03:28 PM

underneath not on top it's not a bad job