Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Aftermarket head unit for 04 Pac with 6 disc changer and dvd monitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Default Aftermarket head unit for 04 Pac with 6 disc changer and dvd monitor

I have an 04 pacifica that is fully loaded with the navigation, 6 disc player and dvd overhead monitor. Ive installed an aftermarket amp and subs by using a scosche line output converter that is tapped into the rear stock subwoofer wires coming out from the stock amp. This way I was able to use the stock unit and keep all of the factory stuff working perfectly.

One issue I am getting is that when my bass hits my lights flicker dramaticly. Ive done the big 3, ive tested the HO alternator and ive even purchased an Optima deep cycle yellow top battery but I still get the light flickering when the bass is pounding. I have a 1300 watt amp with 2 12" subs. I had this same setup in an old Ford Expedition wich even had a smaller rated alternator and battery and I never had a problem with the lights flickering. Im wondering if it has something to do with using the cheaper scosche line output converter? Ive thought about upgrading to the AudioControl LC2i wich is a more expensive converter that will correct the factory output signal for better sound quality and will get rid of the typical factory bass "roll off" that comes from the factory unit and amp. Could this be the problem?

Also, Ive asked awhile back but have never recieved a clear answer. Ultimately I would like to drop in an aftermarket head unit that would allow me to maintain and use all of the factory accessories (6 disc player, dvd monitor, and GPS).Does anyone know of a unit or have any information on wire harnesses or anything?

thanks for your time!!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 AM

How many on board computers did your Ford have on it? ECMs get very cranky when they don't get their full 12V all the time. Maybe you want to be taking the factory amp out of the mix. It is on the communication BUS network. I know this means you'll be running all new speaker wires but..... Pacificas are wierd cars anyway. They have a Hybrid BUS...part PCI and part CAN.

Your last question, I would call Crutchfield and ask if anything is available. I haven't kept up well with aftermarket technology in the last couple years. I have my hands full as it is...lol

Last edited by TNtech; 07-10-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
How many on board computers did your Ford have on it? ECMs get very cranky when they don't get their full 12V all the time. Maybe you want to be taking the factory amp out of the mix. It is on the communication BUS network. I know this means you'll be running all new speaker wires but..... Pacificas are wierd cars anyway. They have a Hybrid BUS...part PCI and part CAN.

Your last question, I would call Crutchfield and ask if anything is available. I haven't kept up well with aftermarket technology in the last couple years. I have my hands full as it is...lol

Thanks allot for the input... The guy at the alternator shop hinted towards the same thing. He was talking about bringing it in to the factory to have them tweak the voltage regulation or whatever? I was lost at that..

Im sure the old 97 expedition had quite a few less computers as this pacifica seems to have..

Already thought about removing the stock amp out of the equation but isnt it linked to the stock deck, 6 disc player and the gps voice etc?

I messed around with the LOC that I have in there now last night and was able to tune everything a bit better... seems like my lights do not dim as much as before... I think I was under powered on the LOC and overpowered on the amp....

Still would like to find out a way to install an aftermarket deck that would allow me to keep the 6 disc cd/dvd player and all the other stuff... I figure there has to be a deck and/or harness/harness' out there that might work but havent ran acrossed this yet.. There has to be some intaller out there that has gone through this experience??

Will check with Crutshfield to see if they might have any leads....

thanks..

Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM

*Crutchfield

Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 AM

do you have a capacitor? if not, then get one and it will fix the issue. here is a few here
http://alturl.com/oyrvw

I used to have the same issue on another car i had and this will help to protect your Battery, alternator and amp. that is a lot of watt, so i will suck a lot of power