Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 LXi axel boots & more

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Default 2000 LXi axel boots & more

What is a ball park $# for the following work on a 2000 LXI ? This is a high mileage van my wife uses to make short trips almost every day - usually less than 10 miles per trip - has 190,000+ on it, but runs like a top! It is an 'all-wheel drive' drivetrain with the larger engine.

I am looking for 'ball-park' costs for the following maint:

1. left rear half-shaft boots shot - remove and replace or use split boots and cost? (and I see the rubber bumper on the frame above is gone - yes, gone -- can it be replaced? $#)

2. oil pan leak - R & R w/new gasket cost

3. valve cover gasket replace cost

Feedback appreciated!!

Old 11-29-2014, 02:54 PM

Location AZ...where's that....Don't think you've a hope in *ell in getting that answered.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Location AZ...where's that....Don't think you've a hope in *ell in getting that answered.
Thanks goggs. Now I see that somehow the "rubber bumper" words in my orig post has been turned into a link (Who did that?) but it goes to a set of rubber bumpers for the hood????

and the words "valve cover" was also turned into a link, but it only directs one to a source for the gaskets -- sorry, but I was asking for a ball park cost for someone else to do the labor for these projects.....I "think" I may have received a very high quote to do this.....and am double checking with the experts on this forum.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
It was Hoozdo Hahoodzo and is now its Arizona.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Different parts of the world and us have different prices on parts labor tax ect Call around your local area for quotes

Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Call you dealership and find out what the book says is the labor time for each.

Then call around and find out how much each shop charges for labor time and their opinion of how long the labor time is on each.

If they say it will take them 4hours to do the job the book says only takes 2 hours, then you get an idea of their competency on that particular vehicle.

Familiarity & correct tools makes for getting it done by book time, but some shops will charge for actual time then take their time doing it.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:23 PM

I should have asked a clear question, but that is what i was really asking for: Ballpark cost which is time+parts=cost.....

Now I have been told that the heavyweight (high viscosity) "oil" dripping on my driveway is more than just the boot - most likely it is a seal where the half-shaft joins the differential......I would ask about it, but it looks like the bet way to get an answer is to call my local dealer....and all along I thought that is why this forum was created.....<G>....

Old 12-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

incorrect forums were created to help with issues or get info for a repair.
When u ask how much something will cost that's a whole other game.
Is gas the same where you are and where I am NO
Is milk bread ect different then you are and I am yes so parts and labor is also different see where I am going with this?

Also I have my own company if U ask me how much something is I gonna tell u what I would charge but it wont be what u will pay in AZ because im not there still catching on? Same goes with leaks u cant really ask some one online where something on you car is leaking from when your not there same goes with a noise. Some things are just not ment to be asked on a forum and that is a few of them.

Last edited by CHRYSLER TECH; 12-01-2014 at 08:49 PM.