Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25 CRD Touring Struggles to start in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Angry 25 CRD Touring Struggles to start in cold weather

Hi Guys, I have a 03 2.5 CRD touring Voyager. during the last cold spell we ha,d the car struggled to start=. To begin with it took 2-3 attempts to start but now won't start at all! Now, here the fun starts......initially the battery would go flat with the continual starting problems and had to call the RAC out who in turn said I had the wrong battery for this type of car stating I need a Gel battery, cost me £184.00! definitely better battery lasting much much longer when turning the engine over but the car would not start, if I bump started the car it would fire up no problem having travelled a matter of yards, once started, the car would run fine, even stopping for an hour or two it would fire up no problem.
I took it to my local garage thinking it was glow plugs playing up, changed them but still wouldn't start. he then checked fuel pressures finding two injectors were leaking, changed all the injectors, check the fuel pressures between high and low pressure pumps, rail etc all ok changed the fuel filter. Still wouldn't start!
then did other diagnostics and found the coolant sensor was reading very high temperatures.. changed that..wouldn't start
changed crank case sensor....wouldn't start
changed the exhaust gas sensor....wouldn't start
checked for an earthing fault non found
He's now given up (don't blame him) on a warm day fires up no problem but any cold weather back to not starting unless I either bump start it or use easy start (works a treat) but try not to use too much. once started she run wells so any advice? Incidentally another garage has another voyager in with similar problem and they're struggling to solve the issue.
reluctant to scrap this as it's cost me £1725 so far!!! HELP

Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 PM

Ouch!... So I'm guessing you've done a "Key dance" and got the fault codes?

Old 05-29-2013, 02:24 PM

yep, no codes showing relating to the problem

Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 PM

Have you ever used BG244 or any Archoil products? Take it that the fuel filter has been changed and not sucking in any air? MAF cleaned/changed and air filter okay?

Last edited by TimmyTim; 05-29-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:53 PM

never heard of BG244 or Archoil products, please enlighten me same goes for MAF?
will check air filter. thanks for your interest

Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Lightbulb

Take a Google on the BG and Archoil products... You can buy them from powerenhancers. You'll be amazed what a difference it can make along with the new Shell V-Power derv... The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sites just after the air filter. If its dirty it will send false signals to the ECU. Clean it with a spray like CRC or electrical contact cleaner... Its a shot in the dark as it looks like you've tried everything else

Old 05-31-2013, 03:05 AM
tfb

cranking speed needs to be above a certain rpm (can't remember what it is off the top of my head). That it starts when bumped or warm would indicate a slow cranking from the starter motor. Don't just fork out for a replacement, test it first.

What oil and when was it last changed? - thick oil will really slow an engine down.

Check the electrical connections to the start motor for corrosion and the ground connections from the engine for the same.

Get a garage to measure the cranking rpm.

Regards
Richard

Old 06-20-2013, 05:31 PM
kkc

I don't have a solution for the cause of your problem... but your engine may have a plug which you can replace with an engine heater... you connect this to garage electricity during winter nights and the engine has a nice warm start in the morning when you are off to work. The heater works by heating the engine coolant. An example: http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/calix/1793600.html. You can also get dipstick heaters if there is no plug. Google engine heaters.

Also during winter if the temp falls to -10°C I put in some 50ml of liquid / full tank of diesel to improve the power of diesel.

Finally during winter, use good diesel--- it has additifs to stop the diesel gelling up.

The fact that your car starts well when it's warm says you have no probs with air intake or fuel intake (when warm). So the likely cause could be the battery still not providing enough starting current and capacity. For my 2.5CRD I use a Varta Silver dynamic 12V 77 Ah E44 - it is the largest physically size wise that will fit on my battery tray. If you can go for a more powerful one, physically larger one, do so. Make sure its a gel. You can order these online and fit yourself... - cheaper. Just don't short the old or new battery terminals...!! And cover up the terminals of the removed battery so no water can get at it and so that shorting is avoided.

Last edited by kkc; 06-20-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by kkc
For my 2.5CRD I use a Varta Silver dynamic 12V 77 Ah E44 - it is the largest physically size wise that will fit on my battery tray. If you can go for a more powerful one, physically larger one, do so. Make sure its a gel. You can order these online and fit yourself... - cheaper. Just don't short the old or new battery terminals...!! And cover up the terminals of the removed battery so no water can get at it and so that shorting is avoided.
Got a great deal on one of these for my own car, I've always had the same problem as the OP so will probably see if it fits in the Voyager for winter.

OPTIMA YTS5.5 HIGH PERFORMANCE BATTERY - OPTIMA YELLOW TOP BATTERY | eBay

I'm confident it'll prevent me having to jump start at all this winter.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:21 PM

Thanks guy for the advice on the batteries, as I've already stated I purchased a gel battery and yes thoroughly recommend them!

Quick Reply: 25 CRD Touring Struggles to start in cold weather