Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 3.3 voyager will sputter in drive then stalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Default 98 3.3 voyager will sputter in drive then stalls

I work on cars/trucks/vans and atv/dirtbikes all the time but this problem is stumping me. I have a 98 grand caravan 3.3 that usually idles great and revs fine. Also when you drive it in reverse it runs fine but when you put it in drive it with either stall out or sputter really bad. If I barely give it gas it will start to cruise and the gears in the transmission shift smooth and I can get it up 35-40mph but if I step on the gas good it will start to sputter and then die out. It has the engine light on so I ran the code.
I got two codes. One was p0340 and the other was p1391. So I replaced the camshaft sensor and then unhooked the battery to reset the computer. The engine light went off. I put in drive and the same thing happened. Also the engine light does back on after about 10 minutes. Sometimes it will die right away as soon as you put it into gear and i have to wait for it to restart again. I took for a test spin and ended up having to drive it in reverse to get me home. Any ideas??

Old 04-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Mass Air Flow?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 AM
Default Hi,

Hi,
Did you get to the bottom of your problem? I have a Chrysler grand voyager 3.3 that is doing exactly the same thing :-(
Originally Posted by Tazland001
I work on cars/trucks/vans and atv/dirtbikes all the time but this problem is stumping me. I have a 98 grand caravan 3.3 that usually idles great and revs fine. Also when you drive it in reverse it runs fine but when you put it in drive it with either stall out or sputter really bad. If I barely give it gas it will start to cruise and the gears in the transmission shift smooth and I can get it up 35-40mph but if I step on the gas good it will start to sputter and then die out. It has the engine light on so I ran the code.
I got two codes. One was p0340 and the other was p1391. So I replaced the camshaft sensor and then unhooked the battery to reset the computer. The engine light went off. I put in drive and the same thing happened. Also the engine light does back on after about 10 minutes. Sometimes it will die right away as soon as you put it into gear and i have to wait for it to restart again. I took for a test spin and ended up having to drive it in reverse to get me home. Any ideas??

Old 10-01-2015, 03:04 PM

Camshaft and Crankshaft sensor don't forget. Also have you checked the intake manifolds for air leaks whereby bypassing your mass airflow sensor.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:50 AM

Hi tazland001
Did you find the problem to your car please?
Thanks
QUOTE=Tazland001;87259]I work on cars/trucks/vans and atv/dirtbikes all the time but this problem is stumping me. I have a 98 grand caravan 3.3 that usually idles great and revs fine. Also when you drive it in reverse it runs fine but when you put it in drive it with either stall out or sputter really bad. If I barely give it gas it will start to cruise and the gears in the transmission shift smooth and I can get it up 35-40mph but if I step on the gas good it will start to sputter and then die out. It has the engine light on so I ran the code.
I got two codes. One was p0340 and the other was p1391. So I replaced the camshaft sensor and then unhooked the battery to reset the computer. The engine light went off. I put in drive and the same thing happened. Also the engine light does back on after about 10 minutes. Sometimes it will die right away as soon as you put it into gear and i have to wait for it to restart again. I took for a test spin and ended up having to drive it in reverse to get me home. Any ideas??[/QUOTE]