Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficult engaging gears.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Default Difficult engaging gears.

Hi I've got a 2004 2.5crd grand voyager and it's hard to engage gears when clutch is right down. They engage fine with engine off but as you start it in gear with clutch down it wants to pull away. I've narrowed it down to clutch fork fault as I've read abit about them and there is a squeak from inside box (clutch area) when pushing pedal up an down. Just want to confirm I'm going in the right area. I'm a mechanic myself an wonder what the job is like the pull the box out on one of these.
Thanks
Dan.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 AM

It is fairly awkward to remove the gearbox as I found out when I replaced the rear crank seal. However the job would be made a hell of a lot easier if I had a transmission jack and used a 2 poster lift instead. It does sound like a fork fault or potential damaged linkage. How are the gear changes when the car is moving?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:14 AM

I'm thinking of tackling it on my drive.
Do you need to disconnect any of the slave cylinder? I just don't want the extra hassle of getting air into the system. Yes been changing fine, all happened this afternoon. I used to have a voyager before this with 3rd gear fault which is cable or box fault. This one is nothing like that, it's like it needs more travel on the pedal to engage, I was in two minds if the fault was either clutch or slave cylinder but noticed squeak coming from clutch area inside box makes me think it's fork related as I've seen on here.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:45 PM

You do have to disconnect the slave cylinder and quick release connection. Then I'm sure you twist it slightly and Pop it out. I made a tool out of sheet metal for this but something like a big enough fuel pipe connection disconnect might do the job. I was nervous when I reconnected it as the price of new hydraulics was a lot. However all was fine. I suggest you get a second pair of hands as the box is fairly heavy at awkward angles but lift able once out the way of the car.