Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power at 2000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Default Loss of power at 2000 rpm

Hi guys, my 2002 2.5 crd diesel has loss of power and chugs when pushing it over 2000 rpm and then when stopping at the lights it chugs more at idle, weirdly enough after a minute and a half at idle it then stops chugging and smoothes out. also after hitting over 2000 rpm I can then drop it down to below 2000 rpm and cruise steadily for one and a half minutes and the chugging stops and smoothes out. any ideas ? thanks.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:27 PM
tfb

is it dead on 2000 rpm? if so then it's going into protection mode. Try a key dance for fault codes.

REALLY wish this forum had a "stickies" bit at the top where the key dance procedure could be stored.

Regards
Richard

Old 08-24-2014, 03:47 PM

no its not dead at 2000 rpm it drives on but can feel a loss of power as if its not combusting correctly. I have done the key dance and had a few codes but the p1130 I think is the most obvious if its the issue.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 AM
tfb

When was the fuel filter last changed?

What are the other codes?

If air is getting in, it will usually cut out rather than run rough, A blocked filter with no air leaks could cause for symptoms

The 2.5 has an electric lift pump. On the supply fuel rail near the oil filler cap there is what looks like a tyre valve. This can be opened to check the pressure and rate of fuel that the pump can supply via the filter. Time how long it takes to fill a plastic bottle and then do the same after a filter change and see if there is any improvement.

Regards
Richard

Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 AM

I will change the fuel filter today, do I have to depressurise the system or is just a quick old one off new one in situation?

Fault codes
P1130
P1685
P0115
P0100
P1652
P1651
P0340
Displayed all in that order from top to bottom.
Thanks

Old 08-25-2014, 06:02 AM
tfb

no need to de-pressurize.

P1130 - fuel rail pressure or sensor
P1685 - SKIM, ignore this
P0115 - engine cool for too long, sensor or jammed open thermostat?
P0100 - MAF, have you been disconnecting the MAF?
P1652 - bus timeout, ignore this
P1651 - comms problem between the ECU and instrument cluster when trying to turn on the MIL, does your check engine light turn on when the ignition is turned on?
P0340 - Camshaft sensor, really need to clear the codes and see if this comes back. It's not unusual to see a historical Cam or crank fault.

Regards
Richard

Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 AM

Richard
I have only had the vehicle a few weeks, I put a new battery on next day then did the key dance. The codes where as of before I started troubleshooting. I have disconnected the Maf and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner which safe and doesent leave residue also fitted a new air filter. This morning I disconnected the connector to the fuel rail pressure sensor, gave it a blow and put back on, the engine management light is now on. I took the car for a run and it was really smooth, I ran it till fuel light came on and topped up, then it started getting slightly grumpy but nit as much as usual. This was a good 80 mile round trip before it went grumpy.

Is the check engine light the red dot? This disappears after a few seconds on ignition.

Halfords have to order the fuel filter in and will take a few days.

To clear the codes do I disconnect the battery?

All in all it was a better run that normal.

Thanks Bruce

Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
tfb

The red dot is the immobiliser/ SKREEM indication

The MIL is the orange light with a symbol of an engine. It should light up together with the battery, oil and brake lights when you turn the ignition on. They should all go out after the engine starts.

It's not unknown for the MIL bulb to be removed from the dash to hide a fault from an unsuspecting buyer (not just Chrysler's but any 2nd hand vehicle). It's just I've never seen a P1651.

Codes need a Chysler specific scanner to clear them. Whereabouts are you? I travel from Cambridgeshire to London most nights and can clear them for you.

Regards
Richard

Old 08-25-2014, 03:20 PM

I live on the Wirral between Chester and Liverpool. Ah that light I know as the engine management light (for some unknown reason). That engine symbol came on this morning and stayed on after I disconnected and then reconnected the cable from the fuel rail pressure sensor. I have checked and it comes on at ignition for a few seconds goes off for a few seconds then stays on. as I say it only started to permanently stay lit today.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 PM

Quick Reply: Loss of power at 2000 rpm