Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mopar DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Dom
Default Mopar DVD

Hi

I have just bought a 2005 Grand Voyager/Town and Country which has a Mopar single DVD player, 0508687AA with the monitor mounted on the roof. The thing is it didn't come with a remote, and I just wanted to know if this was required to turn the monitor on, which I can't, I can however get sound through the speakers when a DVD is put in it.

If that is the case, rather than purchase a remote from the US, does anyone know if a universal DVD remote would do the job.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:56 PM

I think they might sell those in Amazon. I can take a pic of mine so you can get the right one for you. At least they sell the cordless headphones in Amazon. Actually you might want to check ebay too, as I'm a bit uncertain where I've seen that.

I have a 2005 Town and Country (Grand Voyager) with the 6xDVD system built in. That at least requires the remote only for switching on the wireless transmitter for the headphone audio. If you don't use the remote you'll have to select the "Ext" source on the radio and you should have the DVD running and audio coming from the speakers.

Hope this helps..

edit: Actually I checked Amazon quickly and here's what you're looking for:
New Dual Channel VES DVD Remote Dodge Chrysler Jeep : Amazon.com : Automotive New Dual Channel VES DVD Remote Dodge Chrysler Jeep : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dom
Hi

I have just bought a 2005 Grand Voyager/Town and Country which has a Mopar single DVD player, 0508687AA with the monitor mounted on the roof. The thing is it didn't come with a remote, and I just wanted to know if this was required to turn the monitor on, which I can't, I can however get sound through the speakers when a DVD is put in it.

If that is the case, rather than purchase a remote from the US, does anyone know if a universal DVD remote would do the job.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I understand the Voyager and T/C are under the same name but what differences are out there to show their differences.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 AM

I don't think there are too many differences between the US T/C and the export model (Voyager). Most of the differences are some differences on the trim levels etc I guess, but technically the cars are about identical. What I've found out so far is that as the Voyagers have the turn signal and MIL indicator lights separated on top of the dash, my T/C has them in the main instrument cluster and the top indicator panel is completely missing. And I'm not sure about this but at least the Finnish (I live in Finland) Voyagers were all equipped with headlight washers and mine isn't. Oh, and mine has the external antenna for the radio as the Finnish market ones have the antenna integrated in the right vent window. Of course one big difference is that the US models are with 99% gasoline engines and I'm not too sure if the diesel was even widely available on that market.

Besides those the cars are like said pretty much equal and (almost) all the parts should fit across the models. If you haven't done it yet, you can always go to RockAuto Auto Parts and take a few random parts to see whether or not the part numbers differ between the European and US models.

What comes to that monitor issue you have, it is of course possible that you have a wiring harness problem preventing the picture to be displayed on the screen. -Or maybe the screen brightness is just set too dim, although I'm pretty sure you already have checked that..

Old 11-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Dom

Thanks for the for the link however, I'm not sure i want to buy the remote or headphones until I'm sure of the problem.

I have taken the monitor off, and have found that I have power at that end of the harness, so pretty sure that is ok Also I had a universal remote lying around so sat it the car and played with different codes and found one that would turn the DVD player on and off in the dash, (I used Philips codes) but still no luck with the monitor, I'm beginning to think that this maybe where the fault lies, as I can't see why the monitor would be activated separately from the DVD player. I have no 'Ext' button, the DVD player detects either a cd or dvd

A friend has an aftermarket flip down monitor that he is going to pull out to see if it has the same connections as mine, so that I may be able to test it that way, other than that I'm non the wiser.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 AM

Perhaps you could check the player end of the cable as well in the dash. If you "jump-wire" another cable to the screen you should be able to narrow the issue down what comes to the cabling. -Of course if the both ends use standard connectors, which might not be the case.. I have an installation manual of the VES by the way, if you could find any assistance in there. It might be for the next gen. Voyager, but I don't think they've changed the cable locations and connectors too much from the older one.. Mostly I think the changes are related on how the overhead console is mounted to the roof etc..

Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Dom

Just had a look at my friends DVD, however the connections are not the same so back to the drawing board.

I have an instruction manual for the 6 DVD player that came with the car, work that one out? I take it your is the same, or does yours go into more detail. If I had a wiring diagram that wire function that would help.

I think the next best thing to your idea as I don't have a replacement wire is to bell test the existing wires between the DVD player and the screen. On that subject, the screen I have compared to my friends aftermarket one, has way more circuitry which takes me back to my original question, is the whole thing controlled from the screen end. It's becoming a chicken and egg question.

Stay tuned for the next saga!!