Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with whining during acceleraton

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Default Need help with whining during acceleraton

I have an '08 T&C Limited with 4.0L and 6spd auto. It has 109,000 on it. At 101,000 we had to put a new transmission in it. Outside and inside it is still like new. It has been running fine, but there has been an increasing "whining" during acceleration. The whine is consistent with the RPM's; as the RPM's increase, the pitch of the whine does too.

I had read about others changing their tranny oil and filter to eliminate a whine sound. This is a new tranny, and had the oil changed at break in. The whine started just before the previous tranny went bad, and has remained with the new one. This I a new tranny, not a rebuilt. The noise is definitely coming from the engine compartment, but I'm not sure where. It is VERY loud in the cab of the van and will drown out light conversation. This is a nice van, but I am embarrassed for my wife to drive it. Suggestions are most appreciated!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM

You own a 5th generation van. Typical noise sources on 4th gen 2001-2007 vans are the alternator clutch and the power steering pump usually caused by a clogged reservoir. Don't know if they apply to 5th gen vans. Can you duplicate the noise in your driveway?

Head to Youtube and use the search function to find something that sounds like your noise. Here's one:

Last edited by Raptor 07; 10-14-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Interesting. I note Chrysler calls these transmissions "transaxle". Herein might be a clue. Is the diff. gear part of the autobox and if so was it changed when box was changed? Another clue might be the way he whine changes in pitch. Is it matched exactly to the road speed? If it is, I'd suspect the diff. But I must say a whining diff. is unusual nowadays at just after the 100,000mile mark. Of course, if it whines as you rev. the engine while parked, it's not the diff.

Leedsman.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 AM

Update: First of all, this is my wife's van and I don't drive it much and thought I posted the symptoms correctly.

The whining gets louder with speed, but does not reflect the RPM's, as I previously stated. After some searching myself, I have determined that the left front wheel bearing is shot. The transmission is fine I believe, as is the differential. I plan to replace both front wheel bearings as a pair.

Thank you all for your input, it was most appreciated!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:16 AM

Good man for telling us what the fault was. These engines and transaxles seem to last forever, a quarter million miles not being unusual.

Leedsman.