Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

won't shift gears past 40MPH and have engine codes p0732 and p0735

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 02:25 AM
Question won't shift gears past 40MPH and have engine codes p0732 and p0735

Hi, I am new to this forum and have come here for some help.

Over the past week or so our 2010 Chrysler Town and Country has been shifting hard into the 2nd gear. We would notice it after coming to a stop and then accelerating, that there would be a jerking motion before shifting gears.

Just today, it stopped shifting after around 40MPH. We were driving on the highway and noticed that the car was doing around 6,000 RPM, so we took the side streets instead.

When I arrived home, I checked the codes:
p0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
p0735 - Gear 5 Incorrect Ratio

Those codes seem to make sense based on what we experienced while driving it.

(There was also a pending p2096 code. I don't think that is related, but maybe...)

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?

We plan to take it to a mechanic soon, but I would appreciate if anyone could offer some advice as to what might be the cause of this behavior and these codes.

I am worried about what this might cost and whether it would be covered by the extended warranty? We purchased this van about 6 months ago. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Old 06-17-2015, 02:36 PM

The car is currently at a transmission place being diagnosed.

I was told that it likely is not shifting gears past 40MPH because the vehicles is in "limp mode", which means that the vehicle's computer is not allowing it to shift past a certain gear, specifically because it sensed trouble with the transmission (the codes listed in the previous post).

Otherwise the only actual symptom that I've experienced was a jerking motion when accelerating from a complete stop (likely into the second gear).

Old 06-17-2015, 02:48 PM

Might be a good time for an oil and filter change in the trans. Gives a return on what filter was like.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:10 PM

Hi,
Don't mean to piggy-back on your post, but I didn't want to duplicate the post - I'm faced with very similar issue here. I wonder if you got a solution yet. Looks like many people have found solution by changing oil + filter (for transmission).

Mine is 2001 Town & Country 3.8l FWD
Check-Engine light came on Monday, Wednesday I noticed the last gear would not kick-in on the highway, otherwise very normal operation.
Thursday I drove to this place, park it, come out turn it on, put it on Drive, nothing. Put it on all gears, nothing... I mess with it for 30 minutes, nothing.
Finally after giving some extra gas and keep shifting, it finally grabs on Drive, but it made all kinds or weird shuddering noises (while going very slow with very little gas), buckling, slipping, but it felt the higher the speed the better it drove. I got it on highway doing 60 was fine, took me home.
Now It will not go reverse - but it will take the other gears and will do 10 miles an hour max, it constantly slipping all gears, comes to a halt.

These are the codes I got:

P0700 - Transaxtial control system fault
P0740 - TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTH CIRCUIT CONDITION
P0732 - Gear ration error in second gear
P0734 - Gear ration error in fourth gear

Have I possibly totaled the transmission? I drove few miles as it was doing the crazy noises.

I plan to do the oil + filter change tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:15 PM

P.S. my speedometer or tachometer seemed to operate normally.
Also, some forums said that changing the alternator would somehow fix these issues?!?!... so I did it, and of course it had no effect (trust me, I thought it was very stupid idea too)

Old 06-20-2015, 10:52 PM

I wish I could be more helpful, but we are actually going to have our transmission replaced with a used one.

We have a warranty and they send someone to the transmission shop that we took it into and inspected it, and confirmed that whatever is wrong with the transmission can be best resolved by replacing the whole thing.

The warranty covers all but the hoses and flushing, etc. so I think we're going to do it. (I plan to decide by monday morning.)

---

In your case, it could be something electrical though, which could save you money. In our case, we have a 6-speed transmission, however the mechanic told me that older 4-speed transmissions are more likely to have issues with something electrical that affect the transmission (at least I think that's what he said). And you have codes that have to do with the "control system" and "clutch circuit". That might actually be good news for you, since it might mean that you just need to replace a single electrical component and not an entire transmission.

I hope this helps, even though I honestly am not sure if this is correct at all....

Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Default Bad news in the pan

I dropped the pan today, long and behold .. plenty of metal shavings in there, lots of big pieces in there (1/4 inch in size). and metal pieces were all over, the magnet was covered in them. Bottom line this thing is toast
Gotta figure out a way to take it to mechanic now.
Question: Do you guys recommend Rebuild - or - Used from junk yard?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Default 98 with similar issues

I have been going through the same thing with my 98 GV.

To begin with I did the oil and filter change and this worked for a while, but it didn't last.

I'm not at home so don't have the codes at hand but they showed intermittent error's in the solenoid modual and input output sensor's. I have purashed these at 100 bucks but have still to fit them.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:34 PM

I had to pay a local shop to overhaul mine, i may have damaged it to the point of no return. When you replaced the filter did you find much metal pieces by the magnet in the pan? I found plenty when i did mine and some pretty big pieces from the gears being destroyed. So that's why I had to have mine rebuilt. It's never the same though. If you get to the point of needing to rebuild, 1 option is to order factory remanufactured tranny from RockAuto.com and have a local guy swap it for 400 to $500. It comes with 3 year 75k mile warranty. Sounds like im selling something but I regret not doing that :/

Old 07-18-2015, 04:19 PM

I am not sure about the engine codes, but I had the identical symptoms on my TandC yesterday. The culprit was a bad speed sensor.