300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

1999 chrysler concorde 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Default 1999 chrysler concorde 2.7

Have recently replaced timing chain in my 1999 Chrysler Concorde. I had lined up all themarks on both cams and the crank with the marks on the timing chain.After completely putting everything back together, the car started and ran but the timing tensioner felt loose andmade repetitive clicking noise so I replaced timing tensioner. As I took the old tensioner out, and replaced it with a new one, the timing jumped, so I removed everything down to the timing chain and realigned all the marks. Now the car does not start. Instinct tells me that the car may be 180 degrees out. Is this possible? When the engine turns over, I hear compression in the engine but it sounds off. The books that I've read, Haynes and Chilton, they indicate installing the timing chain without the crankshaft being turned. What if the crankshaft had been turned??? Can someone please direct me in detail about the proper sequence to ensure correct timing?(Yes, this is a non-free wheeling engine, and I first thought I had bent the valves but I did not. I have compression in all cylinders of the engine.) Thank you for any information you may be able to provide.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
moe
Default RE: 1999 chrysler concorde 2.7

TIMING CHAIN AND SPROCKETS
REMOVAL
[*]Remove upper intake manifold. Refer to procedure in this section.[*]Remove cylinder head covers, crankshaft damper, and timing chain cover. Refer to procedures in this section
CAUTION: When aligning timing marks, always rotate engine by turning the crankshaft. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage. [*]Align crankshaft sprocket timing mark to mark on oil pump housing Timing Mark Alignment The mark on oil pump housing is 60° ATDC of #1 cylinder
CAUTION: When the timing chain is removed and the cylinder heads are still installed, DO NOT rotate the camshafts or crankshaft without first locating the proper crankshaft position. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.[*]Remove primary timing chain tensioner from right cylinder head Primary Timing Chain Tensioner[*]Remove camshaft position sensor from left cylinder head Primary Timing Drive System[*]Remove chain guide access plug from left cylinder head Primary Timing Drive System
NOTE: When camshaft sprocket bolts are removed, the camshafts will rotate in a clockwise direction. [*]Starting with the right camshaft sprocket, remove the sprocket attaching bolts. Remove camshaft damper and sprocket Primary Timing Drive System[*]Remove left side camshaft sprocket attaching bolts and remove sprocket Primary Timing Drive System[*]Remove lower chain guide and tensioner arm Primary Timing Drive System[*]Remove the primary timing chain. [/ol]
INSTALLATION
[*]Inspect all sprockets and chain guides. Replace if worn. Refer to crankshaft sprocket, for removal and installation procedures in this section.[*]If removed, install right and left side short chain guides Primary Timing Drive System Tighten attaching bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.)[*]Align crankshaft sprocket timing mark to the mark on oil pump housing Primary Timing Chain Marks
NOTE: Lubricate timing chain and guides with engine oil before installation. [*]Place left side primary chain sprocket onto the chain so that the timing mark is located in-between the two (plated) timing links Primary Timing Chain Marks[*]Lower the primary chain with left side sprocket through the left cylinder head opening
NOTE: The camshaft sprockets can be allowed to float on the camshaft hub during installation. [*]Loosely position left side camshaft sprocket over camshaft hub.[*]Align timing (plated) link to the crankshaft sprocket timing mark Primary Timing Chain Marks[*]Position primary chain onto water pump drive sprocket.[*]Align right camshaft sprocket timing mark to the timing (plated) link on the timing chain Primary Timing Chain Marks and loosely position over camshaft hub.[*]Verify that all chain timing (plated) links are properly aligned to the timing marks on all sprockets Primary Timing Chain Marks[*]Install left side lower chain guide and tensioner arm Primary Timing Drive System Tighten attaching bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.)
NOTE: Inspect oil ring on chain guide access plug before installing. Replace O-ring as necessary. [*]Install chain guide access plug to left side cylinder head Primary Timing Drive System Tighten plug to 20 N·m (15 ft. lbs.)
NOTE: To reset the primary timing chain tensioner, engine oil will first need to be purged from the tensioner Timing Chain Tensioner - Oil Purging [*]Purge oil from timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:
[*]Place the check ball end of tensioner into the shallow end of Special Tool 8186 Timing Chain Tensioner - Oil Purging[*]Using hand pressure, slowly depress tensioner until oil is purged from tensioner Timing Chain Tensioner - Oil Purging [/ol][*]Reset timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:
[*]Position cylinder plunger into the deeper end of Special Tool 8186 Timing Chain Tensioner - Resetting[*]Apply a downward force until tensioner is reset Timing Chain Tensioner - Resetting
NOTE: If oil was not first purged from the tensioner, use slight finger pressure to assist the center arm pin of Special Tool 8186 to unseat the tensioner's check ball.
CAUTION: Ensure the tensioner is properly reset. The tensioner body must bottom against the top edge of Special Tool 8186. Failure to properly perform the resetting procedure may cause tensioner jamming.[/ol][*]Install the reset chain tensioner into the right cylinder head Primary Timing Chain Tensioner[*]Position tensioner retaining plate and tighten bolts to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.) Primary Timing Chain Tensioner[*]Starting at the right cylinder bank, insert a 3/8" square drive extension with a breaker bar into intake camshaft drive hub. Rotate camshaft until the camshaft hub aligns to the camshaft sprocket and damper attaching holes. Install the sprocket attaching bolts and tighten to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.) Primary Timing Chain Marks[*]Turn the left side camshaft by inserting a 3/8" square drive extension with a breaker bar into intake camshaft drive hub and rotate camshaft until the sprocket attaching bolts can be installed. Tighten sprocket bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.) Primary Timing Chain Marks[*]Rotate engine slightly clockwise to remove timing chain slack, if necessary.[*]To arm the timing chain tensioner: Use a flat bladed pry tool to gently pry tensioner arm towards the tensioner slightly Timing Chain Tensioner Arming Then, release the tensioner arm. Verify the tensioner is armed (extends)[*]Install the timing chain cover, crankshaft damper, and cylinder head covers.[*]Install camshaft position sensor and connect electrical connector.[*]Install upper intake manifold. Refer procedure in this section
NOTE: After installation of a reset tensioner, engine noise will occur after initial start-up. This noise will normally disappear within 5 - 10 seconds.[/ol]

Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
moe

Old 03-12-2008, 08:09 PM
moe

Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM
moe

hope you were talking about a 2.7.moe