300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

90 New Yorker Landau Cold Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Default 90 New Yorker Landau Cold Start Problems

I have a 1990 Chrysler New Yorker Landau with a 3.3L V6 in it that I picked up fairly cheap. The thing ran awesome up until the weather got cold (20-40 Degrees). Now it has a problem starting...intermittantly.

After some diagnostics, I have determined that when it doesn't want to start because there is no spark at the coils. So far I have done these things to try and correct the issue:

1. Checked the coils (checked good, but replaced them anyway)
2. Replaced Camshaft position sensor (this needed to be replaced because apparently at some point, the connector rubbed against the serpantine belt and chewed through the wires.
3. Replaced Key Switch in steering column. (just because I thought it might be bad contacts)
4. Checked ASD Relay (appears to be functioning correctly with tests done from the Chilton's manual)
5. Replaced Battery (thought maybe it didn't have the correct battery in it)

The thing is, it only happens when really cold and will sometimes just go ahead and start. I can shut it down while still cold and try three or four times before it finally starts again. Every time it doesn't want to start, there is no spark from the coils.

Things to note:

1. The person before me that owned this car has replaced the stereo and thus has modified some of the wiring up under the dash. Nothing major and nothing looks wrong, so I don't think this is an issue.

2. There was a melted wire coming off the key switch (white with a black stripe), but after disconnecting this wire, it doesn't appear to affect the starting problem (however, the Chilton's wiring diagrams are crap and doesn't even mention what this wire goes to. or a couple others that come off the key switch)

3. After digging around under the dash, I noticed a Crime Stopper module. Could this be causing the issue?

4. The horn was re-wired to a switch located next to the door up by the windshield. (won't cause no starting, but could indicated re-wiring done in the steering column.

5. Trouble codes listed: 11,12,43,55 (None of which mean really anything according to Chilton manual)

So now I am stuck. I hate to replace the PCM, but don't know what else to check for. Any ideas? Anyone?