300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

AC NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Default AC NOISE

Hello,

My AC on the '01 Concorde makes a rumbling noise when the car is in gear at idle speed. It goes away if I accelerate or shift to neutral. Could this be air bound or a slipping clutch? The air in the cabin is cold but the compressor cycles more thanI think it should. Any thoughts?

Bill

Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: AC NOISE

the ac compressor will have nothing to do with any noise if it is in gear or park. And how fast do u think it should be cycling? depends on what the pressuers are for that day as well. Temp outside, Temp inside the cabin,humidity.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 AM

Chrysler Tech,

I'm not sure that I understand your answer. If the AC is on and I shift into Drive fromPark or Neutral (put load on the engine by engaging the transmission) there is an audible rumbling sound. IfI shift w/o the AC engaged, no noise. So, I assume the AC is root cause of noise. I don't know if compressor's dying, or belt is slipping, or clutch is cooked etc...

Are these compressors reliable?

Thanks for your help...

Bill

Old 07-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

i cant answer if they are reliable or not like anything if u dont have enough oil in them they will lock up. Can u describe the noise then? If things are in working order i would not do nething about it untill something happens and just be perpared for it to happen and that way there is not mistake to what happened.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:00 AM

Not sure if your problem is solved, last July post, just now seeing it. To narrow the focus of your troubleshooting, set the park brake and with the hood up and someone helping, apply the brake and put it in gear with the AC on and look under the hood to see if it is apparent where the rumbling noise is coming from. Hope this helps, DaveC.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
moe

check you ac belt it might be loose and causing a vibration noise.wouldn't be the first on iv'e seen.moe.