300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Another Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Default Another Transmission Problem

I have a 2002 Chrysler Concorde, I was driving the other day on the interstate and went to get off at an offramp and it went into limp mode. I drove it home and reset the computer when I got home, it drove fine after that. The next day it did it again. I did some research on this and somewhere it said that if it did it to reset the trans computer just shut the car off and restart it. I did that and it works for a short while. I would like to find a solution for what it is doing though, and I can't afford to take it to the shop right now because a week after this started happening I lost my job. I just do not understand what it could be, it runs and drives fine till it gets warmed up them it goes into limp mode when you slow down but you can shut it down and restart it and it runs fine for awhile. I changed the input speed sensor and added a ground wire from the battery. I am thinking about changing the fluid next. Is there anyone that can suggest anything else so I do not have to take it to a shop just to be told that the trans has internal problems and it will need rebuilt before even hearing what is wrong with it or even seeing it.

Thank You
Steve

Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 PM

there is absolutely NO possible way to just guess at what the problem is. you MUST get the trans computer scanned to see what's going on. I like that you just threw a sensor at it which accomplished nothing. that was money and time well spent. if you brought it to me, I'd diagnose it for $10. and if you wanted it fixed I charge a flat time of $20/hr + parts. if i have good used parts on hand I'd throw them in for free.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:47 PM

Where are you located 22chrysler I am in Springfield Mo.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Steve350ci
Where are you located 22chrysler I am in Springfield Mo.
approx. 800 miles

Old 11-21-2009, 10:31 PM

Ok, I have not changed the trans fluid yet (money and time) but after trying some things with the way I drive I found some more stuff. I have found that if I stay under 43MPH it drives fine all of the time but if I go over 43MPH it will go into limp mode as soon as I hit 20MPH. I am going to try and change the speed output sensor before I change the fluid then I will change that when I can afford to.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:06 PM

thats a great idea. throw some totally unecessarry parts at the problem. gee, if your output speed sensor was bad, you'd have NO clue what speed this stuff was happening at.
changing the fluid it a waste of time and money too. without doing proper diagnostics with a tool that not only gets out codes but can read values like CVI's and data stream, is just guessing! Might as well stick you finger in a lightsocket to see if you have power

Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 PM

It is kinda hard to get a proper diagnostics with a tool when you call and ask about getting it checked and they tell you that it will cost at least $75.00 when you do not have a job. I think getting on these sites and basically asking if it would be the right thing to change a few parts before going to a shop where they are going to hook it up to a computer and tell me that this code and that code is what comes up and that it is going to cost me $XXXX when it could be as simple as changing a couple of little sensors. So instead of the sarcasm it would be a little easier to use this site as it was intended to help people out. I know that there maybe several people with the same issues and instead of them going to a shop to get ripped off they can look here and try a few things that may save them a little bit. Thank you

Old 11-23-2009, 05:48 AM

sorry to smash your donut and hurt your feelings, but there is NO possible way to throw guesses at your problem. there is no one common answer to solve your problem. I know you're all kinds of in a hissy fit because someone isn't GIVING the answer but it's IMPOSSIBLE to give you an answer without having enough information to even formulate a possible answer. you should be happy. If it makes you feel better about your idea of putting in the output speed sensor, OK, i'll stroke your ego... go ahead, that just might solve the problem (NOT).
You have several choices:
you deal with the problem and figure out a way to survive as it is, sind you're unemployed, you don't need to drive much anyway.
2 you throw parts at it hoping to solve it,
3 you find someone that has the diagnostic tools to at least point you in the right direction, even the local highschool auto shops have this.
or 4 you bit the bullet and get it fixed by someone that knows whats going on

Last edited by 22chrysler; 11-23-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Steve350ci
I have a 2002 Chrysler Concorde, I was driving the other day on the interstate and went to get off at an offramp and it went into limp mode. I drove it home and reset the computer when I got home, it drove fine after that. The next day it did it again. I did some research on this and somewhere it said that if it did it to reset the trans computer just shut the car off and restart it. I did that and it works for a short while. I would like to find a solution for what it is doing though, and I can't afford to take it to the shop right now because a week after this started happening I lost my job. I just do not understand what it could be, it runs and drives fine till it gets warmed up them it goes into limp mode when you slow down but you can shut it down and restart it and it runs fine for awhile. I changed the input speed sensor and added a ground wire from the battery. I am thinking about changing the fluid next. Is there anyone that can suggest anything else so I do not have to take it to a shop just to be told that the trans has internal problems and it will need rebuilt before even hearing what is wrong with it or even seeing it.

Thank You
Steve
I had the exact same thing going on with my 93 5th Ave. I took it to a shop, the estimate was around $800.00. Like you, I didn't have the money for repairs. I talked to someone thru this forum and he suggested I check the sensor. I replaced the sensor since it was fairly inexpensive and the problem was gone. I lucked out with that suggestion Can you diagnose the transmission with out a computer? No, but you can get some ideas on things to check before you pay out several hundred dollars. Check around your area, you might find a shop that will hook it up to the computer and give you an estimate for free. Good Luck.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Default Another Transmission Problem

Have you replaced the slave and master yet? If not your getting due. Also the problem with "surge" sounds engine or electrical. Not transmission or clutch related as of yet. I have only a few more thousand miles then you.

Quick Reply: Another Transmission Problem