300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Chrysler 1995 Concorde Radio/Stereo Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Question Chrysler 1995 Concorde Radio/Stereo Replacement Help

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and from what I have read this looks like a great place to come for help with my situation. I recently inherited a 1995 Chrysler Concorde, and have been looking to expand on its stereo features. I am a college student simply looking to upgrade the stereo functions of my car to allow for AUX input, possible bluetooth, and iPod support. I have found many in-dash receivers that fit these needs but beyond purchasing one of these receivers I am at a loss for where to begin.

From my determination my Concorde has an Infinity sound system with 2 speakers on the driver and passenger doors, 3 tiny speakers near the windshield, and 2 regular sized speakers between the back seats and rear windshield. The current in dash radio setup includes a CD player, FM/AM radio tuning, a manual equalizer, and is about 3 x 8 inches.

Personally, the sound quality is fine for me. From my understanding my grandma decided to go all out and purchase the most expensive audio features at the time which seems to be a good and a bad thing. All I want to do is upgrade the system that plays these sounds, I am sick of using a spotty FM transmitter, which cuts my sound quality in half, when listening to CD's sounds clear as day.

So now to the actual questions (sorry this is so drawn out), I have a feeling this infinity system is going to give me hell which is why im coming to a community like you guys to possibly help me out. I don't know where to begin, most in-dash receivers seem to run 2 x 7 rather 3 x 8 and due to the age of my car I have to doubt that the cables behind my current setup will not simply plug into a 2010 model. I entered my cars model and year into amazon and a list returned of in dash receivers that are said to fit my Concorde came up despite being less than the 3 x 8 I measured, so I don't know what to do. It seems as if a dash kit may be necessary but really I just don't know. Basically, how can I replace my old infinity CD/Radio kit with a modern one without losing the speakers currently in my car. Also, is this even possible?

Sorry for the horribly long post (Its because I have no clue what im doing) I can also add pictures to possibly explain better. Thanks guys and I hope this is enough to help you help me.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:52 AM

I have a 1994 LHS, also with the Infinity system that has the trunk mounted amp. I upgraded the sound system a year ago with a Sony head unit that has Bluetooth, MP3, USB, etc. I bought from Crutchfield, and they included a wiring kit and dash adapter. It required some soldering to mate the stereo to the kit provided, but was pretty straightforward. The system works well with the remaining Infinity amp and sounds better than the stock system.

The only issue I had was you have to make sure that you wire the power antenna lead (if you have one) to the remote power on lead from the stereo instead of the Power Ant. lead. The Infinity amp is switched on by the power antenna lead. If you do not do this, you will get sound when playing the radio, but not when using CDs or other music sources. A quick call to Crutchfield explained the problem. They also have photos and measurements of dashboards of most cars. They can tell you within a fraction of an inch whether the stereo you're considering will fit.

Hope this helps.