300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

LHS power window question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Default LHS power window question

Just bought a 1999 and when I test drove it there were no issues, but the seller warned me that sometimes the driver's window acted up and he thought it was the switch.
I thought no big problem...made sense for an intermittent type problem and easy enough to replace. It worked fine for the first week or so, but not it doesn't want to move without help.
If I depress the switch and push down on the window it will go down. If I grab the top of the window when it is halfway down, there is play in it. In order to get the window to go back up I have to push down until there is no play in it and then it goes back up normally on its own. It should also be noted that there is no noise coming from inside the door.

Are there sensors that til the motor to stop when the window is either all of the way down or all of the way up that could be causing this?

Are there guides or tracks that could use lube and causing the window to stick and therefore fooling it into thinking that it has reached the end position?

I've replaced regulators in the past and if there are no major obstacles for this particular car I should be able to do it...anything special that I should know?
Thanks

Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

there are lift plates on the glass itself that come apart that is more then likely your prob

Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
there are lift plates on the glass itself that come apart that is more then likely your prob
If that is indeed what is causing the problem is the fix as easy as popping the door panel and tightening them?

Are these the metal clamps/plates that the regulator actually attaches to?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

u will need to remove the glass and then heat up what ever part of the lift plat is still on the glass then glue a new one to the glass.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
u will need to remove the glass and then heat up what ever part of the lift plat is still on the glass then glue a new one to the glass.
Where does one get a new one?
Dealer only item?
Can the existing ones be re-glued?
Any suggestions on what type of glue to use?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

get new ones from the dealer about 15 bucks each maybe less

Old 11-09-2011, 11:54 AM

I had an old mechanic friend call me about a week ago and asked him. He said that he had a trick when he thought the motor was starting to fail.
With the window switch pressed in the down position (and the window up) slam the door and if the window moves it probably means that the action of the door slamming is enough to get the brushes moving just enough the the motor will work.
I tried it and sure enough that worked.
So a trip to the salvage yard, $25 for a window regulator with motor, and less than an hour later the window works fine.
Was actually surprised at how accessible it was and easy to replace