300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

oil light

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 AM

which explains why you're not a technician. if one is talented enough to change the sender, they could just as easily install a pressure gage to see what the pressure is. If I followed your 'repair' methods, my customer would have been broke down. Their 2.7 came in with an oil pressure light on at idle. I checked the oil and it was fine, installed a pressure gage and when I started it up, read 70psi. I let it idle for 10 min and pressure was down to 30 psi. I put it in gear and pressure dropped to 10 psi... stayed in gear at idle and eventually the pressure dropped to 2psi. If I would have just put in the sender the light would have been off for over 15min. And I probably would have sent the guy down the road right after changing the sender... but I don't fix cars by changing parts... even if it takes more time to do it right. Oh and you can buy a cheapie oil pressure gage for about the same as a replacement sender. I personally would prefer a peice of mind knowing for a fact the sender was bad vs oil pressure being bad.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 PM

And if the oil pressure dropped after a while then you know that you have another problem that you need to get checked, but if it did not then you saved money and time. Also no I am not a tech nor do I claim to be just a normal guy that had the same problem that is tired of the "techs" charging or overcharging people for a cheap fix. Thank you 22chrysler for clarifying my suggestion and how long it might take before you would know if the suggestion had worked.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Throw this into fact... soooooo many parts changers just toss a part in because they think it's bad without testing. so you put in the $15 part and 1/2 later the light came on again. many parts changers think that part must be bad so they toss in another.

Recently I came across a guy that had a check engine light so someone said put an oxygen sensor in it (they aren't cheap). Well they guy did and no fix. So he reads on the internet about other parts and changes TPS, ECT, IAC, MAP and so on... still no fix. Autozone tells him there scanner wont communicate he must need a PCM... so he goes to the junkyard and changes pcm, still no fix check engine light still on. Somehow he gets my number and comes over and no power on my scanner. Being it's an OBD2 car, I check pin 16 and no voltage. This is the same circuit as the lighter. No power at lighter, check fuse and there it was blown . put in a fuse, check engine light off and all is well.

Classic example of tossing parts without diagnosis. Since 2.7's have a horrid reputation, I'd always check oil pressure before replacing a sender... even if it's $15, why replace something if it isn't bad, and if oil pressure is ok, then spend the $15. Besides how would it look to toss in a sensor, charge the customer parts and labor only to have it happen again. And what if I buy the part, install it and find the oil pressure is bad, I can't charge the customer for the part since it wasn't the failure. Now I have to eat the part

Old 01-28-2010, 06:07 PM

Like I said before it is just a suggestion, that is what this site is for, the person who started this thread can either take that suggestion or they don't have to. Once again I though that this site was for suggestions, I posted what worked on my car, and you give what you think, and other people post what they think or worked on their car.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 PM

So, you think that's what works and it worked great for you. I totally agree, the guy should just toss that part at it and hope for the best. That's the way a lot of people like to fix transmission woes.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Going back several posts. The reason you want a real gauge and not the idiot light is simple. With what you've already done to the car it sounds like you like shinny things. No I'm not being sarcastic, wallymart or your local parts guys have things like aftermarket backlit or EL gauge clusters. These look cool, and it sounds like thats what you want. Aside from the kewl factor knowing the proper voltage, oil pressure, Temp, amp draw etc of your car is WAY better than an idiot light. Install a T fitting at the oil pressure sender port and install the dummy light into one side and the real gauge into the other, same goes for engine temp etc. There's a reason aircraft have NO idiot lights and a million gauges. Proper car repair begins with information a full set of gauges let you know very quickly, oh crap there goes my alternator.

Or my fav, that snow chunk a mile back? That wasn't snow that was a rock and your oilpan? it's now a few feet from it and you no longer have any oil.

Last edited by Lunar; 02-08-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Hello,

I had this issue on my 01 Concorde. When I looked at the oil sensor, it was clear that it had failed (oil dripping out the end of it). The dealer told me that this was a popular replacement part. If you still have low oil pressure, check your RPMs at idle and clean the air intake plenum and idle speed motor if the reading is erratic. You could also try switching to 10W30 instead of 5W30.

Good luck...