300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

type of gas question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Default type of gas question

i have a 99 chrysler concorde 3.2 high output... what type of gas should i use? i've been putting in regular but it puts a tiny bit of knock like it needs better but if i put in better and it can't take it then my engine is trashed. so anyone wanna help me out? i don't have the manual and chrysler helpline didn't help at all.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

87 is standard U can have what ever grade gas u want it wont harm the engine either way who ever told U if U put different grade gas in will trash your engine is well dumb

Old 11-27-2010, 04:54 PM

i was told it can cuase knock in the engine which will be ok since new cars like mine have a knock sensor and the car will adjust but i would rather put the reccomended so i don't risk anything. and since its a high output thats why i thought it needed to have higher.

my moms mazda millenia s is super charged and we put regular in it so it started to knock and the engine would stall out sometimes on acceleration from the super charger needing higher fuel and it started to mess it up so we had to.

you get what i'm saying? just rather be safe then sorry lol. this is my first car so i wanna baby it lol

Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

ok 2 big differences there and all U asked was what kind in a normal car.
first the higher octane in the gas the faster it burns thus u wont get teh pinging like U would in lower grade gas.

Second the S charged cars I can bet would need the higher octane gas because of performance.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:13 PM

no what i asked was in my 3.2 high output what should i put in since i don't have the manual for the car (bought it used) lol for some reason i think i sound like a douche with how i'm wording everything so sorry

Old 11-28-2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
ok 2 big differences there and all U asked was what kind in a normal car.
first the higher octane in the gas the faster it burns thus u wont get teh pinging like U would in lower grade gas.

Second the S charged cars I can bet would need the higher octane gas because of performance.

Actually you're incorrect---the higher the octane gas, the SLOWER it burns, and the less volatile it is. Try running high octane aviation gas in a car--it may not even start on it! The pinging (preignition) is caused by gas that's too easily ignitable being ignited by hot spots, compression, or incandescent carbon in the cylinder. The slower burning higher octane gas is more stable and doesn't do this as readily.

I'd use what the owner's manual recommends--probably 89. You can run on 87 octane but will experience reduced performance and possibly lessened mileage.