Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

uconnect nav (MyGIG, RER) navigation map updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Default uconnect nav (MyGIG, RER) navigation map updates

So I bought a new Aspen Hybrid in May '09. It's got the uconnect nav radio system (RER model, formerly called MyGIG.) Shortly after we bought it I discovered that a nearby interstate that was constructed in 2007 is not on the map. Unfortunately, I did not think to ensure that the dealer had updated the maps in the vehicle before I took delivery.

So now I've gone back to the dealer (South Oak Dodge in Matteson, IL), Chrysler Customer Service and Navteq (publisher of the map data) to get this updated to the most current version that was available at the time of purchase. Chrysler says it's a dealer issue. The dealer says they can sell me an update or go direct to Navteq. Both the dealer and Navteq say it's gonna cost $199 plus tax and shipping. I even pleaded my case to the dealer's service manager (through voicemail - apparently he doesn't take calls directly) and I never even got the favor of a return call. Not going back there again.

This is ridiculous. The vehicle should have had the most up to date version of map data available when I bought it. As far as I can tell, the vehicle didn't even have the most recent maps available when it was built in December 2008.

Anyone know how to pull strings or get a discount through a different dealer? I can already tell you guys "caveat emptor" and don't buy a Chrysler navigation system. Get one that can update over the Internet or that has reasonably priced updates.

Funny thing is our 2001 Grand Cherokee is starting to show a little age and I thought it'd be nice to get it replaced. Chevy Tahoe or Buick Enclave are looking pretty nice and they have a 60 day money-back guarantee now. That'd be some nice leverage against the dealer to resolve any short term complaints.

Last edited by phillipu; 09-25-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Thumbs down Chrysler navigation system

I have the same thing with my 2010 Town and Country. Finally broke down and spent the $200. I updated the maps and could not tell the differance. I will tell everyone not to waste your money on the Chrysler navigation system. Buy a Tom TOm, Garman, or something else and stick it to the windsheild. That is what I have done. The Chrysler navigation system is not as accurate as the others. It send you the long way around some of the time. But as far as getting around the money, not with Chrysler.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks to both of you for this post, I was just thinking about possibly upgrading my system to the Nav one but I was leary when I read you could not use Nav/CD,MP3.Radios at the same time.
This has just kept me from making a huge mistake, Is the Uconnect system any good or are the after market handsfree system that incorperate into the sound system etc a much better option also?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 PM

I just got a 2008 Aspen and like the Nav system in it. It does need a updated street listings but it's no different than my 2 year old TomTom. And you can use the Nav and the other menu items such as CD/SAT/MP3/etc At the same time. It's just a matter of which one you want to make the main screen. I usually keep the map as main and it will show in the lower left corner your other source.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by biter

how is the online shop? is it good for buying a car gps? who can tell me some experiences? thanks!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 AM

well,read again. still get a lot from the part.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 AM

Really your post is really very good and I appreciate it. You write very well which is amazing. I really impressed by your thread.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:31 AM

I was leary when I read you could not use Nav/CD,MP3.Radios at the same time.