Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in and read the latest from Chrysler.

Mopar to supply drag racing package for 2009 Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned
Default Mopar to supply drag racing package for 2009 Challenger

Mopar to supply drag racing package for 2009 Challenger

Chrysler is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the 1968 Hemi Dart and Hemi Barracuda "package" cars next year, iconic vehicles that functioned as factory-built Dodge and Plymouth drag racing cars. What does that mean to you? Put it this way: if there's one thing the American automobile industry knows how to do, it's how to cash in on its hard-earned heritage.
Hence the announcement that Mopar will be launching what is essentially a new "package" car program to be based on the upcoming 2009 Dodge Challenger. The program, consisting of race and off-road use only parts, will focus on upgrades intended to boost the output of the third generation Hemi V-8. Other parts will be available, including a limited number of complete Dodge Challenger Drag Racing packages all of which designed with the goal of producing a focused drag car from the production vehicle.
http://image.motortrend.com/f/afterm...challenger.jpg

Acura Audi BMW Car reviews Chevrolet Dodge Drag racing Ferrari Ford Honda Lamborghini Mazda Mercedes Mitsubishi Nissan Porsche Street racing Subaru Toyota Volkswagen

Old 11-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Default RE: Mopar to supply drag racing package for 2009 Challenger

Really Cool!

I've seen the "racing version" displayed at the Mopar Nationals as well as shots of it elsewhere on the net. Since it was not accessible to look at carefully, hard to tell what transmission was being used or if it was the 392 version of the hemi as rumored. I did however, clearly see that a Dana axle was in place instead of the standard IRS version for drag racing abuse. There has got to be some good spin off parts from this program if it indeed happens.

I'm still reeling from the fact that Chrysler came within a whisker of selling Mopar all together, so my enthusiasm on this is tempered...