Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

'00 Sebring head gasket concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:10 PM
mbc
Default '00 Sebring head gasket concerns

Hi everyone, first post here.

I am trying to get to the bottom of a driveability issue. Our Sebring conv (2.5 liter) has been running rough upon cold startups. The engine takes about5 to7 seconds of cranking before it starts. There is a slight drop in power, and the engine sounds like it's running on 5 or 5.5 cylinders. The idle is okay and has no significant loping, no CEL, and no stalling. After the Sebring warms up, the symptoms fade, but do not disappear. There is no coolant loss, overheating, or steamfrom the exaust.Current mileage is 90,000. The vehicle was purchased in Mar/07 through my girlfriend's father's estate, so we do not know the completemaintenance history. I have done some homework regarding scheduled maintenance on this car, and it is my understanding that the tune up intervals are @ 100,000 miles. This gives me the impression that the sparkplugs and other subsequent partsmay need replacement very soon.

This issue was brought to my attn yesterday; it seems the carhas been acting up for thepast week.

I am confident in my auto repairing skills, but this isour first Chrysler product, so I am unfamiliar with the Sebrings' quirks. If someone has experienced this issue with their Sebring, or if there is a Chrysler Tech online to give us advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Yesterday, I used the combustion leak kit from Napa with no difinitave results. The solution remained blue while the air bubbles from the cooling system passed through. The solutoin is designed to turn yellow upon contact with combustible gasses.This test was performed with the engine at normal running temp, three times, for one minute eachtime. I did notice that with the radiator cap off, each time the engine was reved, coolant would overflowin an agressive- bubbling fashion. Also, the coolant is old, stinky, and brownish in color. I hope that the (now acidic) coolant has not eaten a small hole in the head gasket.I have a compression tester, but I don't want to remove the plennum. If The engine is to be disassembled, even partially,I would like to do it one time only (during tuneup), orby someone who knows these cars thoroughly to decrease the car's down time.

Thank you in advance for any advice,

mbc.