Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

01 sebring engine removel 2.7 conv.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Default 01 sebring engine removel 2.7 conv.

can someone write a write up on how to remove a 2.7 engine from a conv. sebring. it would be a great help since the book only has the coupe model.

thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Default RE: 01 sebring engine removel 2.7 conv.

Hi I am getting ready to drop mine to. It comes out the bottom on the conv. the whole package comes out. Unhook all your cables fuel lines exhaust drain oils coolantwiring starter torque converterboltspower steering pump.The books say to remove the drive axels and lower ball joints but I am not doing it that way. I am going to remove the brake calibers and unhook the struts at the strut towers and bring everything down.Remember you are bringdown engine and trans together.It just looks easier. Also this way you can leave the drive axels in. You have to remember that you have to be able to raise the car high enough to get the whole craddle out from under it. I just did a 1997 Mercury mini van the same way. It was the easyest engine I have ever removed.

Oh by the way I did alot of checking at the service and parts dept attwo Chrysler dealers yesterday. I talked to service managers techs in the shop and parts people. They all say the engine itself is the same from an 04 to 01. They say that you have to make sure you use the orignal flywheel,intake and harness and sensers. The engine is the same. I also check with rebuild shops and the same engine from 98 to 07 is the same when buying a long block. I checked the crank and cam sensor, timing gears for the 01 and 04 and they are all the same part #s. So I dont know who changed out the engine you have but It doessound like they didn't change the flywheel. I will let you know because now that I have checked it out I will be installing an 04 into my 01. I have done alot of engine swaping, and rebuilding over the years and I couldn't figure out whey it wouldn't work if everything at the basic engine is the same. The only thing that did change was if you buy a new timing chain kit. The orignal is like #1624a and the updated one is like #1624as. The techs said that was because of a modification but either one will work. So anything I can help you with let me know.Good luck!! rjasp2000@yahoo.com thanksRuss

Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 AM

Sorry I did leave one thing out. You also need to use and change the rear exhaust manifold with the intake off the 01 engine. The 04 engine does not have the egr valve and the 01 does and you will need the egr valve.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 PM

oh well thanks i was more or less asking this write up for everyone i droped my engine in about 2 hours really easy but i just put it on jackstands and toke the whole front end off didnt even need to dropit down much and the drive axles just take the top bolt that the a-arm is connected to and pull the spindle down its alot easyer then pulling the whole strut down. ok so your telling me that this engine is the same i changed the intake the wiring, egr, and im pretty sure he used the flywheel off the other motor too is there a way i can check this out.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 PM

when you doing the swap so i can figure out if i should just buy a flywheel and a flywheel will cause no spark, and no fuel i just dont see how that is possible but anyways

thanks,lance

Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM

i cant find a part number on the flywheel and the only sensor that is different is the camshaft and map sensori think

Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM

can you tell me where the map sensor is and if you could take a pic of it and the process, it would be a big help thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 PM

Like I said, I went to two chrysler dealers and talked to a bebuild shop and that is what they told me. The flywheel is the big thing. That is what keeps it in time. So make sure you use the right flywheel. The intake on the 01 has an egr valve and the 04 does not. So the rear exhaust and intake must be changed. I was told that and seen it for myself. I will take a picture of the map and send it to you. Look in the haynes book. If you go to the local library they also have repair manuals you can sign out for two weeks at a time.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 PM

Not sure about the map sensor being differant but I went to another parts store today to check again on the crank and cam sensor. They were the same part # for both years. Go to a parts store or chrysler parts counter and ask them if the map part # is the same for both years.Your going to need a manual to get all your torque specs. Make sure you use new gaskets on the intake and exhaust when putting them back together.
#

Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 AM

Go to ebay and type in chrysler map sensor and they will come up and you will know what one looks like

Quick Reply: 01 sebring engine removel 2.7 conv.