Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

01' Sebring LX Sedan troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Default 01' Sebring LX Sedan troubles

Hi all, I'm new here and I would like your opinions on some things. I recently moved from Ontario to BC and am in the process of getting my cars plates and insurance switched over. I drive a 2001 Chrysler Sebring LX Sedan, V6 2.7L DOHC with almost 200k Kms.

The list of fixes I need to complete before this can be done is staggeringly expensive for a student like myself. I am hoping to do some of the work myself (I have general repair knowledge and a little experience with small repairs) with the help of a friend with some experience (he works at a Kal Tire and has done almost all of the work on his own vehicles).

The fix list goes like this: Headlight restoration; Front inner tie rod end; Front struts (full assembly); Front and rear brake pads and rotors; and she requires a new PCM (hard starting, likely cause is the fuel injector not firing properly, according to a phone conversation with Chrysler tech).

I am curious about thoughts and opinions on the difficulty of some of this work. For the tie rod end and brakes we are confident, but for the strut assembly we are not sure if I should just pay a tech to do this work. For headlight restoration, should I pay the shop the $80 or is there a good DIY product. The PCM is going to be done through a shop, although info about the possibility of finding a used PCM would be nice.

Sorry about the long post, wanted to get as much information out as possible. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Replacing the struts is something you can do but you will need to invest in some tools to do it. You will need a spring compressor and possibly a ball joint press in addition to normal ratchets and sockets.
There are several DIY headlight restoration products on the market. Search the web or shop at yourlocal parts store.
The PCM is a very easy DIY project. You can search the web for rebuilt units. The services need your VIN and mileage and for about $200 (+/-) will send you a rebuilt unit that you swap out and you send them back your old one.
Your first investment should be a shop manual. If you can swing it, the factory shop manual can't be beat, but they are going to be hard to find and/or expensive. The Haynes manual is pretty good for a lot less $$. Armed with a manual, you can decide what repairs you and your toolbox are up to, and which will need to be farmed out.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The PCM is a very easy DIY project. You can search the web for rebuilt units. The services need your VIN and mileage and for about $200 (+/-) will send you a rebuilt unit that you swap out and you send them back your old one
Thanks for that info. I understand that replacing the PCM is easy, trouble being the root cause which set it off in the first place. According to the Chrysler tech I spoke with, likely cause is the fuel injectors firing incorrectly, is this fix a simple as replacing the PCM or am I being mislead?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM

If you were closer, I'd let you borrow my manuals. I got some off of ebay in the $80 range if I remember correctly.
Depending on how bad your headlights are, getting a kit on sale at Canadian Tire ($16 range) will be much cheaper.

It does sound like a lot is wrong on your car.... what is the value of the repairs you are being quoted?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercraft
If you were closer, I'd let you borrow my manuals. I got some off of ebay in the $80 range if I remember correctly.
Depending on how bad your headlights are, getting a kit on sale at Canadian Tire ($16 range) will be much cheaper.

It does sound like a lot is wrong on your car.... what is the value of the repairs you are being quoted?
hi i just suggest get the kit at canadian tire, i just restored recently u just need a 400 grit and 1500 sandpaper.. this is what i do. get a bucket of water with soap in it,then use the restoration kit, me i just used rubbing compound! anyway sand your headlight by a 400 grit, while sanding it u must have a wet towel to pour the water while sanding the headlight. after you finish the 400 grit u can use the 1500 grit sandpaper for finishing.. then do the wax thing rub the rubbing compound on the headlight then polish it, your done hope this help..

Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 PM

In the shop it would be around $1500, not including the PCM, which was quoted to me at around $550 after labour and taxes.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the info guys, helpful stuff. It's nice to know what has worked out well for people.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by wintereighty7
Thanks for that info. I understand that replacing the PCM is easy, trouble being the root cause which set it off in the first place. According to the Chrysler tech I spoke with, likely cause is the fuel injectors firing incorrectly, is this fix a simple as replacing the PCM or am I being mislead?
For the hard starting problem, I think I'd put in new spark plugs long before I replaced the PCM. Usually, replacement of the PCM is one of the very last things on the list. Here's a rule of thumb: Do the cheapest things first. If they work, great. If they don't work, no harm has been done and it probably has helped a little. You never want to start with the most expensive repair unless you are absolutely sure it is necessary to solve the problem.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
For the hard starting problem, I think I'd put in new spark plugs long before I replaced the PCM. Usually, replacement of the PCM is one of the very last things on the list. Here's a rule of thumb: Do the cheapest things first. If they work, great. If they don't work, no harm has been done and it probably has helped a little. You never want to start with the most expensive repair unless you are absolutely sure it is necessary to solve the problem.
I retrieved an error code that indicated the PCM need to be replaced. The hard start issue was a possible diagnosis from the Chrysler tech.