Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

02 Sebring Sedan passenger side strut ground wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Default 02 Sebring Sedan passenger side strut ground wires

Since day one my wife has had troubles with her 02 Sebring 2.7. Engine went out day we bought it, transmission a few months later ECU has been replaced. Now air conditioning stopped working. I recently learned a lot of the surging issues, a/c not working and a few other random things may be related to a bad ground. Yesterday I cleaned all ground wires that I knew of. Then in my search i found what appears to be a ground wire on the passenger side strut tower. I proceeded to follow the wires to see where they went, low and behold they arent connected to anything. So my question is where are these two black wires suppose to be connected? Will this fix some of my problems?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM

"Two black wires" may or may not be original equipment. Typically, black wires are used for grounds but if somebody ran them for his own purposes like some aftermarket installation, then who knows? You say they are not connected to anything...they must be connected to something, they can't float in the air. Do they come out of a harness? Maybe it's one black wire that got cut and needs to be connected back together.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 PM

These wires are about a 1/4" and are bolted to the frame above the strut tower closer to the firewall. They also appear to NOT be an aftermarket part and were previously bolted or attached to something. Here is a link to a photo. ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 AM

The picture helped a lot. On my 2001 convertible, those wires (as far as I can tell by feel) both go to the same bolt on the back of the engine. (Hard to get to, impossible to see from above.) It is an engine-to-body ground. I'll be darned if I can find it in the shop manual, though. It should show up in the wiring section, but I can't find it.
It's obviously not the only ground for the engine, or the car wouldn't run at all. Whether it's responsible for your gremlins, I doubt it, but it wouldn't hurt to connect them back to the engine. Finding the exact original place shouldn't matter, but a good electrical ground would be the thing to try to get.

I wonder how that connection got broken. Do you know if the engine was pulled at some point? If the guy pulled the engine without disconnecting those wires, they would get broken. Otherwise, there should be no load on them.