Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

04 Sebring Convertible power lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Default 04 Sebring Convertible power lock problems

I'm trying to trouble shoot the door locks on my friend's 04 Sebring. For some reason the doors can NOT be locked with the power lock switch. They do unlock however. There's no issue with manually locking and unlocking the doors. Has anyone had this problem? If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, please chime in!!

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 04 Sebring Convertible power lock problems

Can u do it from the passenger side? what about the remote does it work the lock and unlock?
If the driver side is the only one that will only unlock it. Possable DS switch,wires,BCM,or the door is ajar or open in the BCMs eyes.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:32 AM

Same thing from the passenger side. The car is equipped with an aftermarket alarm with keyless entry. It will unlock with the remote, but won't lock.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

so the switches inside will lock and unlock the door just the remote has an issue right?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM

Sorry for not making my original post a little more clear. The doors will NOT lock with the remote or the power lock switches on both passenger and driver's side doors. The only way you could lock the doors is by manually locking the doors using the individual door lock levers. There are no problems UNlocking the car though using the remote or power lock switches.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:47 PM

Has anyone else experienced this problem?? I still can't figure it out.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 AM

was this issue with the broken locks every resolved? Because I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 sebring sedan lx. My horn has also died on me...when I press it on the wheel I hear wires "clicking" and the horn gives off a very low "beep" that slowly gets lower and lower and dies off.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:02 PM

Under certain conditions, the body computer will refuse to electrically lock the doors. When the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open, the door switch will not lock the doors to prevent locking the keys in the car.
All that being said, that probably doesn't explain your problem however because there should also be a buzzer sounding when the key is in the ignition and the door is open. The other guy had an aftermarket alarm installed and that may have somehow confused the body computer into not allowing the doors to lock. Your problem may likewise stem from a confused body computer. That may in turn be a result of a bad door-ajar switch, a bad key-in-ignition switch or some similar problem. Sorry if that doesn't solve the problem but it might suggest some things to look at.
As for the horn, it's probably the horn itself that's kaput. The Sebring horn(s) are located behind the front bumper cover beneath the headlight(s). Some were built with one horn and some with two, I think. If there's one on the right, it's accessable through the headlight opening. The one on the left is buried under the vacuum reservoir and you'll need to remove the bumper cover to find it.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Did a little more research on your problem. I find that there is an error code that the body computer will set when it determines that there is a problem with a door lock switch. If the computer detects a signal on the driver or passenger door lock switch for over 8 seconds, the code will set. If the voltage is over 5.5 volts for over 8 seconds, both door lock switches will be inoperative until the offending input is corrected.
So where does that leave you? There is a short somewhere in either the driver or passenger door lock switch circuit. That may be in the switch itself or the wiring. Because of slight flexing as the door opens and closes, you can get wiring failures where the harness enters the door. Since it generally gets more use, the driver's door side is more likely to be suspect in that regard.
Since it's an easier fix, you might want to replace the door lock switch first to see if that cures the problem. If not, then you'll have to look at the wiring. If you can fix the problem, the computer will stop disabling the lock switches.
If you are willing to spend the money, a Chrysler dealer can hook the car up to his DRB III scan tool and verify and possibly diagnose the problem further. There is a function in there to read and deal with door locking issues.
Hope that helps a little.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:07 AM

thanks for the help! as far as my locks go...they don't work whether I'm in the car or outside using the remote. Most of the time what happens is the driver side door lock will unlock (using the remote from outside), then I have to manually unlock the others once I am inside the car. Now very rarely what I have to is keep hitting the remote unlock button a few times...then the passanger and backseat locks will unlock...but thats after pressing the remote about 10x. But as of late, that doesn't even do it. Oh and I have a 2002 Sebring lx Sedan.

Quick Reply: 04 Sebring Convertible power lock problems