Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

04 sebring TRUNK is locked! need help! keys are in trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Default 04 sebring TRUNK is locked! need help! keys are in trunk!

My wife locked her keys in the trunk. The car door is open, though. She says that the trunk button doesn't work unless the car is on. Is that right? She's stuck right now. Any ideas on how to get her keys out?

Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Default RE: 04 sebring TRUNK is locked! need help! keys are in trunk!

What kind of sebring is it? Coupe, Convertable, or sedan? I know in the coupe you can lower the back seats to get into the trunk, and the car does not have to be on to do that. Hope that helps

Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Thanks for thinking about that. She has a convertible.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Im not sure, but I think you may be able to get into the trunk through the back seats in the convertable too - good luck

Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 PM

OK, thanks! She called the dealership and brought over the VIN number and they were able to make a key for it.

I'm still wondering about the trunk release button... I will have to check that out when i get home.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:22 AM

The more pain in the *** way to do it is to take out the rear seat... it's been done before.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:45 AM

The trunk unlock button is not supposed to work unless the ignition is on. Otherwise a thief would be able to get into the trunk just by slicing the top open.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 PM

huh I have a 97 convertable and you can open the trunk without the key

Old 06-22-2007, 09:51 PM

1st generation Sebring Convertibles (96-00) have the trunk release mounted inside the center console in a lockable bin. These are active at all times and can release the trunk without the key. 2nd generation Convertibles (01-06) have the trunk release mounted in plain view on the dash. So, the BCM disables the button when the power (ignition switch) is off. 3rd generation Convertibles (08-.....), well, we'll see. Haven't met any yet.

Both cars are very difficult to get through the back seat. Can't be done without some kind of tool to release two bolts that hold the seatback in place. And then you've got reinforcing structure all through the area. So, if you try it, you better be pretty small or the keys need to be really close.

Simplest solution would be to have a locksmith cut a standard key blank by VIN number. Depending on your year and model, the new key may start the car but probably won't let it run very long. However, it will let you in the door or trunk. May set the alarm off.....but you're after the good set of keys anyway.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 AM

I have a 2006 convertible, and it does not have a trunk release button in the car. I use the key fob to pop the truck.

Quick Reply: 04 sebring TRUNK is locked! need help! keys are in trunk!