Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

05 Sebring Rear Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Default 05 Sebring Rear Brake Adjustment

I had a mechanic change my rear discs and pads and now there is alot of play like they need adjusting.
is there a way adjustment the play out?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Sounds like two possibilities to me. Possibly one (or both) of the two rear brake calipers has developed a problem after they were compressed during the brake job. The other issue that can cause "mushy" brakes is air in the brake lines and needs to be bled. I'm leaning toward the caliper(s) sense during a standard rotor and pad installation, air should not enter the system unless a brake bleeder valve is opened which should not occur. I do not believe there is an adjustment that can be made. I'd take it back to the mechanic and let him know the deal.....

Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the reply.
the pedal is not mushy, the nose dips down when you hit the brakes.
it feels like the pads are to far from the rotors.
if you hit the pedal twice then the pedal is up where it should be.
the rears where done a couple years ago, being rears i figured they needed adjustment.
i had the mechanic check them this week when he did the front brakes and he says they look fine.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

There is no adjustment for disc brakes. If the pads are too far from the rotors, that can happen if the rotors have excessive runout and are pushing the pads too far back. But rotors with excessive runout will announce themselves with a pulsating sensation when the brakes are applied.

If you drive a lot on rough roads, that might shake the pads back from the rotors but it's pretty unlikely.

I'm assuming your rear brakes are disc brakes. If they are drum brakes, they should self adjust every time you apply them in reverse.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by CFP1970
Thanks for the reply.
the pedal is not mushy, the nose dips down when you hit the brakes.
it feels like the pads are to far from the rotors.
if you hit the pedal twice then the pedal is up where it should be.
the rears where done a couple years ago, being rears i figured they needed adjustment.
i had the mechanic check them this week when he did the front brakes and he says they look fine.

Ok. Your original post indicated you just had the rears done, thus the confusion. Having to "pump" the brake pedal a couple of times to get it up and firm indicates to me an issue in the brake hydraulic (fluid) system. Possible caliper, air in the system...etc. Definitely no adjustments can be made to the brakes. Have you noticed any brake fluid on the ground?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmith1952
Ok. Your original post indicated you just had the rears done, thus the confusion. Having to "pump" the brake pedal a couple of times to get it up and firm indicates to me an issue in the brake hydraulic (fluid) system. Possible caliper, air in the system...etc. Definitely no adjustments can be made to the brakes. Have you noticed any brake fluid on the ground?
i do not notice any leaking fluid but i wonder if the mechanic opened the bleeders when compressing the calipers to install new pads and at this point maybe trapped some air in there.
i will bleed the system and see if that helps, thanks for the reply's.