Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

08 Touring New Owner Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Default 08 Touring New Owner Advice

Dear Enthusiasts,

I've bought a 08 2.7V6 with Flex Fuel 75K. My last car was an 02 300M and I was very happy despite some Limp Home problems. I bought it from a dealer with 2 month guarantee. So far, I detected an engine oil leak and random stalls at lights. Also, something may be loose since, if you hold the engine at 1.5KRPM there is a very light squeal while driving. I'm going to take it in soon to fix for the leak; most probably a seal. When I get over these issues I would like to improve the car. Can anyone suggest some great aftermarket interior, engine or body kits?

Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 PM

Unfortunately, there are few Sebring enthusiasts. If you're looking for aftermarket engine parts, look for any avenger forums. The 2007+ Sebring is the cousin to the Avenger, and thus uses mostly the same parts.

I'm not entirely sure there's much of an enthusiast crowd for the 2.7L either. It's generally known as a problem motor throughout Chrysler's history. Even my local dealership acknowledges this.

The best you can do without serious modding is replacing the stock air filter with a K&N drop-in filter. There is a Mopar cold air intake for the 3.5/3.6L, but I"m not sure it fits the 2.7, not that you would want to pay the price for it anyway. ($200+ for a 5HP increase)

If you're thinking about head units, if you have the Boston Audio system, look into a MyGig radio. It's a Chrysler made unit that works seamlessly with your audio system. Otherwise, if you wanted to use an aftermarket unit, you would have to replace your entire system (amplifier, speakers, plus the $100 wiring harness to keep your steering wheel controls). I bought a MyGig REN for $200 and it works great. I'm going to get a LockPick for it eventually.

As for lighting, I bought some 20SMD LED boards from eBay. They really make a difference, and to an extent are too bright. I also replaced the LEDs in my analog clock and the EVIC buttons. All white. I also plan to replace the LEDs in my gear shift as well.

Your low beams can be replaced with an HID system, but don't go with the cheap $30 kit from eBay. Get one directly from a company. Expect to pay ~$100. Due to the fact that our cars use the high beams(on the lowest setting) as DRLs, HIDs cannot be used as the low voltage would make them flicker all the time and wear out the ballasts.

Turn signal lamps can also be replaced with LEDs. I bought two switchback bulbs from eBay for the front. They are white when the lights are on and blink orange when the turn signal is on. I had to wire in a load resistor from ground to the respective turn signal wire on the plug itself so it wouldn't hyper flash and trigger the "your bulb is out" chime. Most, if not all exterior LED replacements will require a load resistor. i.e. turn signals, tail lights, reverse lights, etc. However, the third brake light will not as it runs on 5V instead of 12V on a 194 socket bulb.

If you're going to change the transmission fluid at any time, I would recommend Royal Purple ATF. Its amazing. It meets or exceeds all manufactures' specs, and performs better than regular ATF +4. However, I have not seen it be used on a Sebring/Avenger, so use it at your own risk. It is also very expensive, especially if you have to use 6 quarts.

As for the random stalls, try cleaning out the throttle body and replacing the idle air control valve.

Like I said, there isn't much of an enthusiast crowd for our cars, which is a shame because they're wonderful. Luxury, performance, and sensibility all in one car.