Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1997 Sebring LXi question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 AM
Default 1997 Sebring LXi question(s)

Nephew recently bought the car noted in the title. 2.5L engine - 136k on the clock. This car has been rigged in a few places, looks like a light front end fender bender may have happened. (zip ties holding half the front clip onto the car).

Question 1: Should this car have a Keyless Remote fob? All we got was a valet-looking key... just thin metal, no plastic head cover on the key... I have bought fobs before and programmed them myself... this car seemed to have every option, leather, sunroof, no infinity sound, but... all the other options are there... surely if keyless remote were available, this car had it. Is there a VIN decoding page I can visit to see a build sheet of some sort?

Question 2: When I shut the car off, I can turn the key off, take it out and hold it out the window (not trying to do it fast, but... not slow either) before the engine shuts off. It seems like a 3-5 second delay between shutting the key off and the engine shutting off.

Question 3: The radiator fan has a tapped in wire that leads to a toggle located near the steering wheel (prior owner rigged this)... this operates the fans that cool the radiator. What could have died to make someone rig this? What can I replace to make it proper? (depending how hacked the wiring is at the fan now)... just a new fan? Relay?

The leather seats area pretty trashed in this thing.

Question 4: does anyone know, since this is a coupe, will seats from other model cars (Chrysler or Mitsubishi) fit this vehicle?

Already planning to hit some local salvage yards today, but unsure if the nephew will get up out of bed. Think I worked him too hard this week. HA...

Thanks in advance for any help you guys have to offer.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 AM

A visit to the parts counter at your local Chrysler dealership can answer your question about original options. They can look up the VIN and give you a list of all the car's factory options. There is no VIN decoder that can provide that information. VIN decoders only tell you about big things like engine and trans.

Nobody here can tell you what the previous owner did to hack into the wiring for the fans. Fans are supposed to be controlled by the engine computer which takes information about coolant temperature and A/C use into acount to decide whether to turn on the fans.

You can get complete wiring diagrams in the Chrysler service manual. You must get the manual for the coupe. Sedan/convertible manuals do not apply.

You have already figured out that your coupe was built by Mitsubishi. I think the Mitsu model was called the Eclipse. There was a Dodge Stealth that was basically the same car.

Never heard of a car continuing to run after the key was pulled. Possibly a sticky ASD relay?????

Old 04-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the reply Mr. Cotter welcome back....

err..

sorry.

The Dodge Stealth and the Mitsubishi 3000 were the same car, to my knowledge, but maybe some of the interior stuff from both will fit the 97 'bring. I've never even looked at the interior on either car... same with the Eclipse... I've seen the interior of a few but never paid much attn. to the layouts.

I'll dig around, see what I can find.
As for the wiring on the fan, didn't know if there was a common SINGLE item like a relay that would fault and cause someone to hard wire it like they did. I've seen that on a few cars and even had cars of my own where friends would suggest that as a repair. I'm not into rigging, so I always opted for the proper repair.

I'll ask my local dealership. They aren't real 'sharp' up there. I try to avoid that place like the plague. The lack of knowledge for their own cars is shocking.

The ASD is an auto-shut-down relay... I presume. I'll look into that. Never heard of one before but have read the last few pages of threads here and noticed it mentioned a couple times.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 PM

There is a fan relay (maybe two of them) but it would be a lot easier to replace one of those than wire a switch into the interior, but who knows...

The fan relay(s) are likely to be found in the fusebox under the hood. Check the owners manual or the underside of the fusebox cover for a guide as to what is what in there.

The Haynes manual for Sebrings has some wiring info, moreso for the coupe than others. Might be of help.