General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Chrysler Sebring LXi (fuel problem)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Default 1997 Chrysler Sebring LXi (fuel problem)

Alright so i have been having this problem for a while now and i am completly stumpped. My 1997 chrysler sebring has been not starting on and off now for a while. I will be driving and the car will just shut off the lights on the dash will flicker and the rpms drop to zero then mabey come back up for a second then drop again and stay down. if i try to start it right up it will crank but not start, but if i wait a while say a couple hours mabey it will start up fine and drive for a while before it happens again.

To me it seemed like a fuel delivery problem so i tried (after the car died) spraying some starting fluid throught the air intake and starting the car. It started for a second but died quickly. I went on to change my fuel filter, fearing that it may be clogged and not allowing the fuel to flow. This actually fixed the problem for a couple weeks, only to have it break down again. Next i installed a new fuel pump, (i also checked to make sure the fuel pump was getting voltage while i was cranking the engine with my multimeter. It was), still no results. Im getting desperate now. Any ideas?

Mabey fuel pressure regulator? Fuel injectors? am i going the wrong way about this does it sound more like an electrical problem?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Default update

after doing some research i think my problem may lie in the crankshaft position sensor.
if this was faulty wouldnt it give me a code on my obdII
the only code it gives me is insufficient flow to egr

its a 70 dollar part would you guys suggest it?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 PM

You need someone to get their hands on it to diagnose. You've already spent 3 or more diag fees throwing parts at it when you could have had it fixed by now. In a forum we can speculate for you or point you to a few likely possibilities, but the ultimate answer comes from in person.