Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1998 sebring 2.5l v6 p01786 dtc problem HELP PLease

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Default 1998 sebring 2.5l v6 p01786 dtc problem HELP PLease

ok so the car had codes for a solenoid malfunction so i change the solenoid pack on the front of the transmission, cleared the codes then drove it. i drove fine for a good distance then the car went back into limp mode. checked the codes and now im getting a p0700 ( which i think is just a general transmission code to let you know there's other codes stored in the tcm). and then of course my other code is now a p1768 which i think has something to do with the transmission control relay which i think is located up on the d.s firewall next to the asd relay and the fuel pump relay. ok so my first questions is, has anyone else had this problem and what did they do to fix it. and my second question is cant anyone help me out and show me a schematic for the wiring to the tcm/tcm relay/solenoid pack. im pretty sure the way the system works by the tcm relay giving power/signal to the solenoid pack and then the tcm tells the solenoid pack when to open/close solenoids. (correct me if im wrong). anyones help asap would be very appreciated thank you in advance, rob

Last edited by rob123; 02-26-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

P1768-RELAY OUTPUT ALWAYS OFF
When Monitored and Set Condition:
P1768-RELAY OUTPUT ALWAYS OFF
When Monitored: Continuously after a controller reset (ignition key turned to the RUN
position or when the cranking engine), the TCM then energizes the Trans Control Relay
(switched battery).
Set Condition: The codes sets when the Trans Control Module (TCM) senses less than 3
volts are present at the Trans Control Relay Output (switched Battery) terminals of the
TCM, when the TCM is energizing the relay.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
CHECKING SYMPTOMS AND POSSIBLE CAUSES
LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE CAUSING SYMPTOM
FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT TO TRANS CTRL RELAY OPEN
TCR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CIRCUIT OPEN
TCM PIN 16 TO TCR OPEN OR BAD CONNECTION
TCM PIN 17 TO TCR OPEN OR BAD CONNECTION
NO OUTPUT FROM TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY DEFECTIVE
TCM DEFECTIVE
INTERMITTENT CODE P1768

Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 PM

ok so i got a wiring diagram from work which helped a lot. tested all the wires that need be tested and everything seems to check out. i think either my tcm is bad/has an intermittent problem or my relay has and intermittent problem/something messed up inside of it. i do know the relay is coming on though because when i turn the key on and hold the tranny relay i fell it click. my only question is doesn't the tranny relay actully give power to the tcm to send signal to the solenoid pack? on my schematic i got a wire that comes from a fusable link that then goes to the tranny relay terminal 2 to give it power and of course when the relay is switch on it powers up terminal 8 on the relay which then sends power to the tcm/solenoid pack i think. its a little confusing to me sometimes. i would relay like some insight on how the system exactly works, so i could better understand it. but anyways im gonna go ahead and replace the transmission control relay first because it only cost about 20 buck im pretty sure and then if i still have a problem im gonna get a used tcm from a junk yard because im sure a new one it expensive and if the one from the junk yard dont work i know i can always bring it back. Any insight on how exactly the system works would be great if someone could explain it to me in words. i feel that i know how to read schematics pretty well but sometimes the mix me a up. but hey ive only been in auto mechanics for 2 years (and im only 20 years old) at a shop now and im pretty sure everyone knows electrical is one of the hardest things to deal with on cars. thansk for the help so far though i apperciate it. Please post any comment/ questions yall may have