Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2.7 water pump help, asap thankyou.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Default 2.7 water pump help, asap thankyou.

My daughter's '04 Sebring with 2.7 engine, 133K (well maintained) is leaking coolant out of the weep hole next to the Thermostat. She's had a few "managed" over heat incidents due to low coolant. Trying to keep engine alive for 6 more months until she becomes a nurse.

I replaced the leaking water jacket outlet on top as well as the thermostat (wished to find cracked thermostat cover, no luck).

I have been studying repair of this poorly engineered engine and am collecting quotes. Cheapest is $480 up to $650 for water pump only. Been warned of possible tensioner/timing chain extras.

One mechanic, supposedly an expert on this engine (Chrysler school) said that the new water pump would HAVE to have a new timing chain...new pump won't accept old chain. IS THIS TRUE? (maybe he's thinking of a different engine?)

ANY ADVICE/GUESS ON CHANCES THIS CAR WILL NEED MORE THAN WATER PUMP? Tensioner/timing chain components.

Thank you sincerely.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

what he said is correct the new pump will need a new chain guides and cam gear.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
what he said is correct the new pump will need a new chain guides and cam gear.

Thank you very much.

I have gotten 5 estimates today and they have warned me that the timing chain, tensioner, etc. MIGHT be worn and require replacement. But none of them (except the one) indicated that the new water pump (design change?) mandated the new timing chain system.

The cheapest one said they have done 15 of these jobs and he "seemed" trustworthy and had a "nice" shop (organized, not "too" fancy vs. too shabby).

Are they baiting me, already knowing they are going to jack up the price?

I am confused by the divergence of estimates and timing chain implications.

Thank you again, especially if you can help me understand this "he said/he said" difference.

Best Regards.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Where's the edit?

Could you explain to me the reason behind New Pump = new chain.

Don't old design pumps still exist?

Your help is sincerely appreciated.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 PM

They changed the gear on the water pump so now it takes a different width chain. I never asked why, sorry. You will have to replace the chain, all 4 guides and the MAIN tensioner. Chrysler has a chain kit now that's very competetively priced. I really don't know if any aftermarket places sell the old style other than the last time I bought one from NAPA, they were selling the new style.

I absolutley NEVER replace a 2.7 water pump without doing the whole setup. It's a matter of liability.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-24-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Thank you, gentlemen. Your help is appreciated by many.

This makes me think that the shops that didn't explain this to me maybe are not being honest, or they lied about their experience with this engine.

That hurts, because the one guy/shop I liked the most didn't mention this. Bummer.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Treefrog
Thank you, gentlemen. Your help is appreciated by many.

This makes me think that the shops that didn't explain this to me maybe are not being honest, or they lied about their experience with this engine.

That hurts, because the one guy/shop I liked the most didn't mention this. Bummer.
Well, TBH most shops avoid them like the plague. At least they used to.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:56 PM

The car is fixed for now. POS engine! My mechanic replaced the water pump, chain "kit", and tensioner (said he saw metal shavings/wear). I'm still in denial about replacing all these parts (not my style), but it was probably best.

Thanks goes out to Chryslertech and TNtech for taking your time to share your expertise with all of us. I contemplated trying this challenging job myself, but I read too many online stories of the learning curve and mistakes made by others. Besides the difficult access, it seems that it is a challenge to keep the timing in alignment and there is a trick or two to get the tensioner installed correctly. Others had problems getting the new seal in place and had to go back in.....a dreadful thought.

I have a new found appreciation for the training, tools, and experience of you techs. I still despise the way the system is set up to cost the customer so much. Dealer mark up for OEM parts is ridiculous.

I might PM you with more info, but I don't seem to have that privilege yet.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
They changed the gear on the water pump so now it takes a different width chain. I never asked why, sorry. You will have to replace the chain, all 4 guides and the MAIN tensioner. Chrysler has a chain kit now that's very competetively priced. I really don't know if any aftermarket places sell the old style other than the last time I bought one from NAPA, they were selling the new style.

I absolutley NEVER replace a 2.7 water pump without doing the whole setup. It's a matter of liability.
hi, I have 2.7 Sebring 2006 model, and want to attempt to change water pump. After how many miles should it be changed? I have 105,000km (75,000 miles). I have changed simple GM water pumps andbrakes stc, but scared af timing chains and want to avoid touching chain. For a 2006 model does it currently have installed a NEW style pump or was it built with old style pump? Also would a novice like me be able to change this water pump? I will only attemp it if my car already has new style pump, because i am afraid of timing chain issues. Do I need any special tools to do this? Many thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Hi gpatel,

I'm sure the real Techs will chime in shortly with help. Here's my two cents. I HIGHLY recommend having the timing chain and related items replaced along with the water pump. It sounds like your water pump is not currently leaking and this is just a preventative maintenance repair. Frankly, as the car approaches the 100,000 mile mark and I was considering doing a preventative fix, I would be more concerned about replacing the timing chain. A broken timing chain (and it's a common occurrence around 75,000 miles) will cause lot's of collateral damage such as bent valves etc. Anyway.....REPLACE TIMING CHAIN AND WATER PUMP regardless of the water pump style. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: 2.7 water pump help, asap thankyou.