Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible rear 3rd upper center brake light bulb change.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Default 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible rear 3rd upper center brake light bulb change.....

I have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. The rear 3rd upper center brake light bulb change is out and I don't know how to change it. When you pop the trunk there are 5 screws that go across the glossy black trim piece that goes across the back upper trunk part. Here's the thing..... there is a plastic oval section that holds the black lense and 3rd "cyclops" brake light. I can't figure out how to get to the bulb. Again, this is the 3rd, by itself brake light sitting up by the convertible top, not the brake light located at the corners where the signals are. I don't want to crack what looks like the plastic piece that pops out to than gets to the rear bulb. Thanks for your help!!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Interesting problem. The owners manual tells you to either take it to the dealer or to buy a shop manual to learn how to do this.

Anyway, that light is called the "Center High Mounted Stop Lamp" or CHMSL, for short (pretty catchy, eh?)

The Shop manual says:
REMOVAL
(1) Lower the convertible top
(2) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable
(3) Open trunk lid and remove deck upper panel molding fasteners.
(4) Pull back trunk liner to access wire harness.
(5) Disconnect wire harness connector
(6) Remove molding from vehicle.
(7) Remove CHMSL mounting fasteners (four screws)
(8) Remove CHMSL from molding.

Now, after relating all that information, be advised that the lights in there are LED's, and you may need to replace the entire CHMSL. LED's don't usually burn out, so there may be a wiring issue or something else going on if yours isn't working.

If you succeed in fixing this, report back and tell us how it went.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Why does the convertible top need to go down?
do you have photos to illustrate, I love wrenching on cars but I don't think you can get to the harness from the trunk. This chmsl is located in a black glossy plastic trim piece, does that make sense?

Old 06-22-2011, 05:36 PM

I'm just reporting what the shop manual says. I've never done this, and, I suspect, neither has the guy who wrote the shop manual.
Yes, the light is in the glossy plastic trim piece. I think that's the "molding" referred to in the instructions. You have to remove that first, then remove the CHMSL from the molding.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 AM

I guess the issue I have is there are 2 parts to this shinny black glossy trim piece. The entire black piece is held down by 4-5 screws. BUT.... the piece that folds the red plastic lense and the bulb looks seperate from the larger black shinny piece of trim. It looks as if I can get my fingers underneath it and seperate it from the larger trim piece that goes all the way across. That's my question, can the smaller oval shaped plastic piece that is the actual light sepereate from the larger piece of glossy trim? Once I figure out how to do that, I can get to the bulb.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM

If you'll re-read the language above, you'll see that the CHMSL is held on to the molding by 4 screws. Now you can pry it off if you want, but you'll destroy it in the process. And as I said, there are LED's in there, not bulbs. If your light is completely out, then the problem is very unlikely to be a burned out bulb, and more likely a wiring or other problem.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 AM

I'm with you as far as your instructions.... however bare with me for a moment. I know about the 4 screws, I am unable to remove the large shinny black plastic piece because it raps around the inside trim where the vinyl top ends so it is difficult to remove. If you look at the entire piece that is held down by the " 4 screws" it is NOT one piece. The CHSML(red lense and black shinny body) is seperate from the BIGGER shinny piece held down by the "4 screws". I can actually get my fingers under the oval shaped piece that IS ATTACHED TO THE BIGGER PIECE held down by the "4 screws". To remove the large shinny piece it may break due to it being folded and jammed behind the lip where the vinyl is.
Could you email me the instructions with the photo? As aggrevated as you might be with me right now, trust me, it's not easy to do this job,,, but your help is appreciated as you can tell no one else has responded to this thread..... I'm surprised no one else out there ever had a problem with the 3rd cyclops brake light

Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 AM

No, I'm not saying that the bigger piece is held down by four screws. I'm saying that the CHMSL is held to the bigger piece by the four screws. You must remove the bigger piece (the molding) then you can remove the four screws from underneath and take off the CHMSL.
I think the lack of problems with the brake light is related to the fact that the lights are LED's which should outlast the car.

I have gone back to the manual to find out about removal of the molding:
(1) Lower convertible top to midway position.
(2) Remove screws attaching upper deck molding to rear deck panel above convertible top rear attachment.
(3) Open decklid.
(4) Remove screws attaching upper deck molding to rear deck panel inside decklid water trough
(5) Disconnect wire connector for CHMSL
(6) Remove upper deck molding from vehicle.

Once all that is done you can remove the CHMSL from the molding.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:33 PM

now I understand. I will give it a try. Thanks for everything.
Ant

Old 06-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Come back and tell us how it went.