Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Sebring low oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Default 2001 Sebring low oil pressure light

My 89 year old mother has a 2001 Sebring convertible with the V6 with 82000 miles on it. It has 2 things I noticed while driving it tonight.
1. After a run on the freeway, when exiting and coming to a stop, the low oil pressure light comes on. If I rev the engine just a little bit the light goes off. Is this normal for this car with this many miles?
2. While driving home at night I lost the lights in the 4 insturments - tach, speedo, temp, and gas. As far as I know all the other lights stayed on. She says it does this on occasion and then the instrument lights will start working again. Is there any known problem that would cause this?
I am not familiar with Chryslers. I have a C4 and a C5 Corvette and they have their known problems. I assume Chryslers do also.
Thank you for any assistance.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:42 PM

The oil light may be the result of a bad sending unit. It's a known problem. Go over to the Chrysler Sebring Convertible Club and search their forums for a discussion and a how-to for the repair. Make sure the oil gets changed regularly.

The light problem may be due to an inverter that is built into the instrument cluster. Search the forums here for "inverter" and you'll find a discussion.

Here's a guy you might contact regarding fixing it:

Mr. Whizard Technical Services - Instrument Cluster Repair, Speedometer Repair, Odometer Repair and Digital Dash Repair

Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 PM

I just fixed #1, it is a common problem, it is either:

- bad oil pressure switch (sender)

- the electrical connector needs to be vented. There is a TSB for this which involves buying a special replacement connector from the dealer, HOWEVER you can accomplish the same thing by removing the tiny square-headed plastic plug on one side of the connector - you will understand when you see it.

Since it is a pain to get to (have to remove 3 15mm head bolts which hold on a heat shield) I did both: new switch from Rockauto, less than $10 shipped, and removed the square-headed plug before plugging the harness back on to the new switch.

No problems since.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:53 PM
Default 2002 sebring v-6 oil pressure light flicker

Just some comments per above post:

I have a 2002 Sebring with the V-6 - oil pressure light would come on at idle. (Oil level was fine, and I have used Synthetic oil every 5,000 miles, so don't think sludge was an issue.) Replaced sensor, and as previously noted - removing the heat shield is a real pain, could not fit any air tools due to half-shaft and exhaust pipes in way - use a 15mm Gear Wrench ratcheting wrench for the three way-too-long bolts holding the flimsy aluminum shield, also need a deep socket to remove the sensor.
(I figured I would purchase the part per list $ 18.00 from Chrysler dealer, of course "replaced by new part number" cost me over $ 30 - should have purchased OEM from car parts store instead.)

Unfortunately, still flickering light with my expensive replacement sensor. Cleaned out connector as best I could with spray solvent and air - not much slack in the wiring harness at rear of engine. I also popped out the plastic connector in the unused port with a screwdriver, and used a two-foot long piece of 12 gauge copper ground wire to make a heatsink - pushed it in as far as I could when the connector was inserted to the sensor, and wrapped it around some hoses near the firewall at the top of the engine. Figured it was cheaper than purchasing the Chrysler re-designed wire harness / connector per the TSB - like "free." Not a flicker since.