Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Sebring won't start

Old 05-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Default 2001 Sebring won't start

I have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring with a 2.7 that won't start. It had no spark but had no trouble codes. I disconnected the cam position sensor and it started and had the PO340 code for the CPS. Then I plugged it back in and it would not start, no spark, and no code. Disconnected it again and it started and had the PO340. This is with the original CPS and with a new Mopar one. This engine has a new timing chain and all marks line up where they should. Any ideas?

Old 05-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 Sebring won't start

there is some info missing here did this start to happen right after the new chain was installed or did u install it and now it wont start or is this something that happened awhile after the chain was done? and yes or no have u put a new CPS in?

Old 05-20-2007, 09:01 AM

The new chain was installed and it wouldn't start.I checked the chain and timing marks several times to make sure it was right.A scantool was connected and there were no codes. After talking to a mechanic at the dealer, I installed a new Mopar CPS. Still would not start. Was told it could be CKS soI unplugged it to see if it would set a code, it did not. Plugged the CKS back in. I unplugged the CPS to see if it would set a code. The car started with the CPS unhooked and I got the PO340. Plugged it back and itdid not start and did not set a code.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

There will not be ne codes because the engine has not seen cam and crank yet because it can not start up and run. With that info i would say u have a wiring issue caused by who ever did the chain. The car will start up off either cam or crank with an sbec 3 computer. Either u can check to see if u have a wire pinched or shorted whixh is what i think it is. Pull the crank snesor and with a volt meter key on there will be 2 wires that have 5 volts on them and one ground wire with 60 ohms of restance on the black wire. See what u have as far as thoe 3 wires and get back to me.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:14 PM

I got 9 volts on theorange wire, 5 volts on the yellow wire and about 60 ohms on the black ground. No wires were pinched that I can see. By the way, it did not run with the crank sensor unplugged. The new Mopar cps was not shaped exactly like the original. Is this just a change in design or is it the wrong piece. I saw an after market one listed for this 2.7that looked just like the Mopar one.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 PM

Any other ideas on this.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

What else was replaced the chain and what else?

Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 PM

Timing chain, gears and tensioner changed. Checked several times to be sure it was right. Matched to old set to be sure every thing was the same, timing marks, ect. Had no spark. Local Mopar Mechanic said to replace cps. Replaced with new Mopar unit. Won't run, no spark with cps plugged in. Runs with cps unplugged. Local certified mechanic can't find why it will not run with cps plugged in.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

U have wrong cam gears my friend. Who ever put them in i bet put in an NGC set they fit on there but the windows or slots are not the same as the ones that were taken off. If u have the old ones take a look at them there will be a difference on the right cam gear which the sensor is located on.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:42 PM

The cam gears are identical. Slots are in the same place as original. It was mentioned that the computer may need to be reflashed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Sebring won't start