Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Sebring won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 Sebring won't start

nope Look at it from a simple fact. Did the car run b4 any work was done? IF yes then something was done to change that> The only thing that can be is timing,gears,wires. U checked out all then there is nothing left to do. Is the tone wheel part of the right cam gear the same as for as the slots are placed?? it is impossable for the car to run with only one sensor and plug in a new sensor and it not run. The chances that a cam sensor with as many miles as u had on it have the same probles as a brand new one??? that would be like 1 in a million. Count the tone wheel and slot locations on the old gear or better yet put the old gear back on and see what happens. I will bet money that the new gear is for a different computer setup, I have seen this a few times where some one put a junk yard engine in and it was older or newer than the computer was setup for and would not start. Install the correct gear for that computer and it will pick up the sensor. The gear is setup like binary code if the right beeps are not there it will not startup.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:55 PM

The local mechanic hooked up some computerized analyzer (not a scan tool) to check all the sensors and signals. He said the CKS and the CPS both have good signals and are perfectly in sync. The timing is perfect according to the computer. All sensors are working. He cannot check the computer programming. Also when the cps is plugged in and the key is turned on the plugs spark 4 times and when cranked there is no spark. I put the old cam gear back in, still does the same thing. All the slots, timing marks and gear teeth on both old and new are the same. It actually runs pretty good with the CPS unplugged but I reallyneed to get it fixed. I will probably have it towed to the Chrysler dealer in the next city next week to have the computer checked. Thanks, I appreciate all your help. If you have any other ideas, I'd sure like to here them.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt it. The computer software is the same with new and old software it just tweaks some settings or what ever needs to be adjusted. If the car ran b4 this work was done then something was changed or incorrectly installed after the fact. One other bit of info missing why did u replace the chain and gears ne way?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1033/3155A8C5A59843D2A2AB1BE583E08D1C.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2007, 09:59 PM

The timing chain broke as the car was being started. It had been making noise. The only other damage was a broken chain guide. I did a leak down test and compression test on all cylinders to be sure the valves were still good..

Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 PM

what was the promblem im have the same promblem

Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 AM
moe

dave did you replace the chain because the car wouldn't start? heres marks from chrysler web site.moe

Old 01-12-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
U have wrong cam gears my friend. Who ever put them in i bet put in an NGC set they fit on there but the windows or slots are not the same as the ones that were taken off. If u have the old ones take a look at them there will be a difference on the right cam gear which the sensor is located on.
Hi Kevin
I just put a used 2.7 in a sebring and had the same exact problem. Disconnected the cam sensor and the engine will start and run like a champ.
Have you ever got to the bottom of that issue?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

yeah a few years go U put the wrong engine in
U or some one gets to put the right year engine in or tear down the engine to replace the cam tone gear with the correct one.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 PM

Hi! I have exactly the same problem. My crankshaft sensor was physically damaged. I've replaced it, also I've replaced the CAM Sensor... the car works, only if the CAM sensor is unplugged. Otherwise it is doesn't starts and RPM are jumping when I trying to start it. (But when the CAM sensor is unplugged, RPM works fine and I can drive the car.) With old CAM sensor - same thing. I didn't touch anything except these two sensors.

Did somebody resolve this problem?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

need a little more back ground then what u have told on here. All of the above posts were due to wrong engine being put in is yours the same issue?

Quick Reply: 2001 Sebring won't start