Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 Sebring 2.7 sedan possible belt squeek

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Default 2002 Sebring 2.7 sedan possible belt squeek

Hi all,

A month or so ago I had the thermostat housing replaced due to warpage. I understand that the alternator has to be removed for this task. Since then, slowly but surely, the car has developed a squeek in the area of the drive belt. It happens right after start when cold and slowly goes away within 3-5 minutes. When I squirt a solution of soapy water into the belt area it immediately stops but then slowly resumes in 30 seconds or so then stops in a few minutes.

The drive belt was replaced a couple of months ago when the timing chain/water pump was replaced. I'm hoping that the belt is a bit loose which is causing this issue. Our Grand Cherokee had the same thing happen after the water pump was replaced and I tightened the serpentine belt and the squeek went away.

Does this model had the auto tensioner pulley or can I manually tighten the belt? If so, can anyone advise how to tighten the belt? I understand it should have about a 1/4 inch play with correct tension.

Many thanks.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Old 01-07-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks Dennis. Wow, that's a terrific thread! I'll give it a whirl. Hopefully Termite is still plugged into this forum. I'm curious as to how he attacked the upper locking bolt....ie, from below or above. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks again, Jim

Old 01-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Well.....I just completed the serpentine belt tightening process. The thread showing the step by step method was perfect. After removing the passenger side fender splash guard I was able to access the two bolts on the belt tensioner easily. I first reviewed the belt and it was in new condition.....no cracks whatsoever and was free of any debris. I loosened the two bolts and using my 1/2" breaker bar tightened the belt to about 1/4" play, up and down. Frankly, it appeared pretty tight before I started. I did the best I could (tight in there!) to measure all of the pulley's to make sure they were properly aligned. Seemed ok, nothing clearly out of alignment.

I reassembled everything and started the car. Same squeak.....maybe even a bit louder and lasted longer. Dang!

I'm now leaning towards a belt dressing but I heard that is no no.....

Any other suggestions? Like I said, the access process you all provided was awesome!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Do we know that it's not the power steering belt? There's only two belts in there, and if it's a belt squeal, it's got to be one or the other.
Only other thing I could recommend is to put a new belt in there. Maybe you got stuck with a really old one off the shelf.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 AM

When I had the car up on the jack stand with the fender splash shield removed I had clear access to both belts. I started the car and with the squeal in full force I shot a quick burst of soapy water on the main serpentine belt. Squeal stopped instantly. After it resumed, I did the same to the power steering belt. It had no impact so it's isolated to the main belt.

I agree about replacing the belt......I can't think of another option. Thanks again Dennis!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Update on squeaking serpentine belt:

Replaced the serpentine belt yesterday and the squeak has gone away! Started this morning when it was about 35 degrees and perfect..no squeaks. I inspected the old belt and found nothing unusual in terms of cracks, separation, glazing or dryness. Strange but clearly it has an issue.

Note: Before I replaced the belt I bought a can of Loctite belt dressing and conditioner for $4.99. I thought, "what the heck". I sprayed the inside of the belt while running with a 2 second burst of this fluid. Squeak instantly went away then (as usual) resumed about 30 seconds later. This time with a vengeance. First the belt squeak then it sounded like all of the pulley bearings were chattering. I thought "now what have I done!" Anyway, DON'T use this crap!
Thanks again for the help! Jim

Old 09-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Default squeak on hard right turn

I have noticed fter removing tire that there were rub marks on the wheel well plastic on the rearward part of wheelwell, the tire rubbing the plastic is a possible cause for the sound your hearing

Old 02-27-2018, 05:47 PM

DCotter, can you help with a serpentine belt tensioner question? It's related. Are you still out there? -w.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:30 PM

Just post up your question. But it's best to start a new thread rather than waking up an old thread that's 6 years old. There are lots of people on here might be able to help.