Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 Sebring AC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Default 2002 Sebring AC Problems

I'm writing this question for my dad. He recently purchased a 2002 Sebring, but the AC didn't work. He's currently trying to fix it. In his latest attempt he refilled the AC with freon. The gauge on the can read green, and the AC worked well for five minutes. Then he shut off the car to see if the AC would work again when restarted. When he restarted the car, the AC wouldn't work, and the gauge on the can now was red indicating that the AC was overpressured.

He wants to know how he can resolve this problem, and get the AC to work. Also, if anyone has other tips to fix the AC those would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 PM

There's only one way to know if you have the correct amount of freon in there. You need to have everything in there pumped out and the system properly evacuated, then add back in the correct amount. This requires professional equipment and knowledge.

It's a waste of time and money if the system has a leak. IF it was low before you started adding refrigerant, then there's a leak. If it wasn't low, then there's too much in there now. See first paragraph.

You have two choices. Study up on proper service techniques and invest in the tools and equipment necessary to do it right, or take it to a pro who has done all that already.

A/C systems are complex and sophisicated. There may be simple solutions but there may also be serious problems that aren't easily solved.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 PM

sounds like a leak in the system, and or the system in not functioning as intended, if you really want A/C I would take it to a good shop, and they could pin point your problem, it could be simple fix and they could fill your A/C as well.

the R-134a needs a higher PSI to function, and it is thinner, leaks easier, and not as coldest. However, the Freeze-12 is actually a mixture of R-134a and some other R-# freon-based stuff, operates at a lower pressure, thicker mixture which helps with leaks, Freeze-12 is more expensive than R-134a, personally I would just bring it into a shop before you spend any more money fixing it yourself

Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 PM

I had a problem with my A/C. My mechanic checked it,no leaks, no freon needed, ran it for a while and it ran very cold. I would sometimes put it on and get hot air. Afterwards, this black fiber was shooting and getting stuck in the vents. I pulled all out and it ran cool. I had 1 problem this year. Put on the A/C, open the window and let the hot air in. The A/C suddenly runs cold. Nothing to worry or spend money. It's only a car. I figure a stickey flap in the line or the temperature in the car is colder than the thermostat. Just open the window and you will get rid of the problem. Since 2002, I have never had to add freon. Bad mechanics and the Auto Spas make you think so.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Default Just an idea

On my LHS the dealer said twice that the compressor was bad. I believe they wanted close to $1000. I kept testing and everything checked out. Relays, compressor, fuses, the AC dash controller etc. I also examined the wiring diagram in the Haynes repair manual and other diagrams online. Eventually I realized that the radiator fans were part of the circuit. I tested the fans, (there are two on an LHS) and one was toast. The motor was roasted. So I guess the AC system will hit the kill switch if it detects that the engine cooling system is not up to snuff. I never had codes or dash lights on this problem. The AC would just blow warm air. Compressor would not kick in at all. After a new fan motor, $17.00 online, everything is working perfectly.