Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 PCM reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Default 2004 PCM reprogram?

I need to get a used PCM reprogrammed to work with a 2004 Sebring (2.7l vin R i believe). Does it only need the VIN changed to work? Is the dealer the only option or does somebody (local to SW Michigan) here have that capability?

Alternatively, has anybody replaced a fuel injector driver (transistor?) in the PCM?

Also, is the injector driver robust enough to drive two injectors to mitigate the misfire as a temporary fix (I'd run it in parallel to whichever injector is previous to it in the sequence once I find the firing order)

Other background info:
P0202 with misfire. Verifed no fuel getting into the cylinder.
I spent last weekend with a test light verifying that the wire harness was working. Swapping fuel injectors, code/misfire stay on #2. The Green/yellow trace wire does connect to ground with all the other wires on the harness. The solid tan wire (for #2) has continuity with the test light, but when the car is running the light will not flash in place of the injector (It flashes on every other injector).

I did put a new injector in #2 in case it was shorted internally (didn't have a multimeter with me to check the resistance, but I did save it) and caused the driver in the PCM to fail as a result. I just don't have the budget to spend another $150+ for a dealer to reprogram and update a pcm, let alone a few hundred for a new one.

TIA

Old 03-22-2013, 03:20 PM

For about $200 you can get a reprogrammed/remanufactured PCM. There are services on the internet that do it. You pay them the money, send your VIN and odometer reading and they send the part with prepaid shipping for you to return your old one. I did that for my 2001 convertible and have been very satisfied with the results. Dealer will charge over $1200 to replace the computer.
If you've blown a transistor in yours, you'll need more than re-flashing the program.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM

I have a spare, used one from the junkyard that would be reprogrammed, was hoping I could get that done cheaper than what the dealer is charging (HPTuner?).

Or I would try to replace the transistor on the PCM in the car to aviod needing the reprogram.