Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 Sebring Touring Convertible issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Default 2004 Sebring Touring Convertible issues

I have a 2004 Sebring Touring Convertible.. Since the first week of ownership, the right rear window fails to roll down with the switch that controls the top. This only happens every once in a while but more so if I don't put the top down for several weeks. I have taken it to the Chrysler dealer more than 10 times with this complaint and have had it fail in front of the service advisor, yet I get a call saying that the tech can't get it to fail in the shop. As I type, it's in the shop again and yes, the service writer saw it fail and once again, they say there isnt a problem because it isnt failing in the shop. The center console switch has been replaced but that didnt fix it. The right rear window will go down with the switch on the driver door, but what a pain! I have the Chrysler 7 year 100k warranty with only 1 year left. I know they will continue to put me off until Im out of warranty and a week later, find the problem and hand me a $500 bill!.. The Service manager has said it most likely is a module, but without it failing in front of one of their so called certified 5 star techs, Chrysler won't replace the part.. Any suggestions? HELP!!!!!! I really regret ever buying this car.. EVERY TIME I bring it in for service, they keep trying to sell me ANOTHER car! Why should I buy another Chrysler when they have never been able to fix the one I have??? Thank you

Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

the 7 year 100k unless paid for is only drive train stuff engine tans rear diff that stuff.

let them have the car for an extended amount of time see if they can dup it
U cant fault some one that when they press on the switch it works like it is suppose to and then U get mad when it wont for them.

DO u make a DR apt and if the pain is not there when U get there how is the DR gonna know whats wrong? want him to guess U can or let the techs guess and cost u money in the mean time them guessing at it.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 AM

As I had stated, I have the Chrysler 7 year 100k warranty.. This is a BUMPER to BUMPER extended warranty.
The window and top issue was demonstrated to the service writer every time I have left the car for service. The service writer aknowledged the issue, plus, the service manager this time stated to me on the phone, it most likely is the module, not the switch. Chrysler is paying for the rental, but only 5 days for each repair visit. As for visiting my doctor, that has nothing to do with this issue. When it clearly FAILS when I leave the car to be fixed, then the tech can't figure it out, it should be fixed. The only thing left to replace is the module and its clear to me it must be a rather expensive part.
Same thing happened for the first 3 years of ownership with my top not sealing at the windshield. They ordered a new seal, yet the tech felt the need to just tighten the clamps down on the original gasket. This worked for about a week each time. Finally, once they couldnt squash the gasket any ferther, it was finally replaced. Only problem was, the "lot boy" they had do the replacement, couldn't manage to center the new gasket. First time it rained, it filled the passenger side with water. Took the car back and they started to crank down on the clamps again. I fianlly got my torx out and took everything apart and centered the gasket and replaced the trim (20 min). No leaks, no wind noise! ..
This dealership will usually keep the car as long as possible, claim they have driven it several times and after a week, call me to come get it and claim nothing could be duplicated! Yet, I have driven past the dealer a few times during the week, only to see my car in the SAME SPOT. Strangely enough, spyder webs from the pavement to the tires and 1/10 of a mile on the odometer since I had left it the week earlier. To me, that spells fraud. I know they bill Chrysler for diagonistics and such, yet the car rarely even makes it in the shop. They continue to try to sell me a new car everytime i come to the dealer.
Regardless, my car still has yet to be fixed. Its now Wednesday and the rental is due back Friday. No doubt in my mind that nothing will be fixed, as usual. As I get closer to the end of the warranty, I plan to drop the car EVERY Monday until they find the problem. I may as well get my $$ worth for what i paid for the usless warranty.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Well, I picked up the car today and before I left the dealer, (they did NOTHING to fix the issue), I tried to put the top down that they claim is fine. Geezzz, it FAILED AGAIN.. I let them know, it will be back next week regardless and that I would think Chrysler would rather save $$ on rental cars and just fix it rather than keep giving it back.. Everything has been replaced except the module.. Must be an expensive part..
I also asked if they checked to see why the top is about 50% slower going up than it was when hew. Their reply was "its an OLD CAR, buy a new one from US"..... NEVER AGAIN...

Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

if U have bumper to bumper then U have rental car coverage for up to 5 days

Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by PBJOHNSON
As I had stated, I have the Chrysler 7 year 100k warranty.. This is a BUMPER to BUMPER extended warranty.
Does not exist....What you probably have is max care. It's NOT B to B. However, if you can't figure out that this dealer is sick of being bothered by you (for whatever reason, your fault or theirs), then I don't know what to tell you other than my advice is to take it to a different dealer and start over. Continuing to go back to them is about as useful as stalking an ex-gf LOL. Don't talk about your previous visits. Just tell them what the issues are and see from there.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-24-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 PM

Good idea but... ALL the dealers north, south east and west ARE the same ownership.. LITHIA! Yes, I have the Chrysler Max Care which is as close to bumper to bumper you can get. 7/100k zero ded and 1st day rental.. Only problem is, LITHIA is worthless, even under the first 3/36 warranty.. They even own the Toyota, Nissan, Honda dealerships too.. A BAD monopoly if you ask me.. Usually, "I am my own Warranty Station" on most issues.. I just plan to return the car every other week until they replace the failing computer module... I added it up and so far, they have spent about $1,200 in rental cars since my car was new and all on this issue.. I would think Chrysler would rather save a few $$ and just replace the last part in a weak link.. But, that would just be too easy!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 PM

have you tried going above them and calling chrysler customer service direct, it worked one time when i had my monte carlo (gm obviously different) but the dealership would not do anything for me when i knew what i had was warrantied, i even had paperwork from friends where they had theirs warrantied. the dealer would not do anything, so i called gm head office and within the hour my car was getting fixed under warranty

Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 PM

Do you have a "Lemon Law" in your state? Might want to check it out.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 AM

Be there when it "does not fail" in the shop and record it with your cell phone or other camera.

Make sure you can prove the date it was recorded.

I feel your pain. I bought my 2003 Sebring used in February "as is". It was advertised with a working AC. Problem is that it does not get cold. The dealer said that everything worked. I said it isn't getting cold, therefore, it isn't working. The response was that it was winter and is hard to tell if it gets to the proper temp. Therefore, they said it was working even though they didn't know for sure. They said they are only going to go half on the refrigerant recharge, even though they said when it was sold that the AC was working. I couldn't test the AC till recently since the weather was too cold to notice a difference.

Last edited by 2003sebring; 03-25-2011 at 09:35 AM.