Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2005 Seb. Conv. - How to remove CC buttons to remove airbag

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Default How to Fix Horn Blowing issue on Sebrings with videos

I have a 2005 Sebring Convertible. I have the horn going off randomly issue due to the SW Chrysler emblem attachment pegs pressing on the horn switch membranes. I need to remove the airbag and airbag cover to remove the horn switch and repair it. But, I need to know how to remove the CC buttons to get to the airbag bolts. I do not want to break the CC buttons. I'm told they pull off, but I really need move details on how to remove them.

Also, in case I can not repair the horn switch can anyone post a link to buy a new horn switch on the web. I cannot find a horn switch anywhere. Does anyone have a good used one?

Thanks,

Glenn

Last edited by GlennDenise; 02-03-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: reflect addition material
Old 01-12-2018, 09:00 PM

I would check the clockspring as more likely the cause of the horn problem. It's a fairly common source of trouble.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Default How to Fix Horn Blowing issue on Sebrings with videos

The CC buttons are fastened with a very small Torx screw - very difficult to locate through the rear SW access hole. Once the screws are removed the CC buttons pull straight up and off. Then the airbag can be unbolted by two Torx bolts. I needed to repair my stuck horn switch which is located directly behind the SW airbag trim cover. You have to remove the airbag mounting bracket and then the airbag to get to the horn switch. The horn switch is a pink very thin membrane made of a conducting film on both sides that activates the horn relay when pressed together.

The problem with these horn switches for many years of Sebrings and other Chryslers is that the Chrysler emblem on the trim cover has small pegs that hold it to the trim cover. These mounting pegs are too long for the horn switch and over time punch dents into the membrane that activate the horn at the worst times. These horn switches are NOT available from Chrysler, but are commonly used on other brands and are available to purchase, i.e. Fords. The air bag, horn switch and trim cover can only be obtained from Chrysler as a complete unit costing $800+ and more to install. They can be bought from eBay from $100-150, but you still might have to deal with a dented horn switch. The only real option is to remove the horn switch and repair it - not an easy job.

The horn switch is attached to the trim cover by about 12 plastic melted mounting points - not easy to remove. I used a Dremel to remove them. Once they are moved you have to pry up a clear plastic cover over the horn switch. Be careful not to break the cover. Then disconnect the horn switch connector and the switch can be pulled out - it is not fastened down under the cover. Then you must have a small sharp razor knife and carefully separate the two halves of the horn switch membranes. Smooth out any dents in both membranes and obtain two common 1-2mm thick by about 1 1/2" diameter circular rubber seals. Cut the seals in half and place one half of each seal on the left and right side and one half a seal at the top of the switch. Press the membranes together and place the switch back into it original position, re-position the clear cover and glue it into place onto the original mounting points. Be VERY careful not to place glue onto the airbag crease lines. They must to free to burst open.

Well, it is not a very easy job - but the horn switch is fixed and works great. Some members have paid $1000-1200 for this same fix. Hopes this helps. The below YouTube video is the only video that even comes close to explaining the above.

Last edited by GlennDenise; 02-03-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: expand title to include new posts material
Old 05-08-2021, 10:38 AM

I know this is an old post, but i had this horn going off on my 2006 sebring 2.7L 6 cyl Touring model and the dealer changed the entire Air Bag module (so he said) and that fixed the problem under warrenty and still good to this day. my car is no 15 years old.
Great video on air bag and horn fix here.
Thanks

Old 05-09-2021, 07:46 AM

When l fixed mine i tore some duct tape into thin strips and put the around the inside of 1 of the plastic membranes.