Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2006 engine in a 2002 Sebring Conv?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Default You're not helping your cause...

The reason the price is so high is because the demand is so high because the failure rate is so high.

Put Djinn-n-Tonic back on the phone.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by webRonin

Put Djinn-n-Tonic back on the phone.
Well, yeah that was uncalled for...but hey....my $hit's not blown up.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Good evening....Your call is important to us , so please stay on the line and a representative will be with you ....Ummmm ...SHORTLY????

I dont take it personally.... I said I didnt think they were that bad....I didnt say I would Pay money for one...

Old 06-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Default Found an engine...

Well, I found one. $1500 for a used engine in AZ. As I had asked prior, what do I do from here? Is there a way to safely 'de-sludge' and engine? Should it just be more frequent oil changes with a quality detergent motor oil or is there something else that should be done? Also, I had mentioned and oil cooler. That would increase the oil capacity while keeping the oil at a lower temp. Is there a recommended cooler for the 2002 Sebring?

Didn't mean to jump on anyone but I felt that folks were just jumping the bandwagon and not offering solutions. Blaming the oil manufacturers or telling me to do my homework or suggesting that I check the junkyards... not a big help. Only serve to get me angrier.

Djinn-n-Tonic, you've been great. I appreciate your ability to walk the line without alienating your end-user or 'talking down' to me. The other responders should reread this thread until it dawns on them they are talking to their customers... customers who have in some cases suffered a catastrophic engine loss through no fault of their own.

It's a help forum. Be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Ok.....

In a nutshell.... My "Love affair" with 2.7 was really basic.....

After 20-25 years of Timing belts and the carnage an disastrous results (Mostly due to neglect, or lack of maintenance), I was very impressed with a CHAIN DRIVEN V6 , with At least somewhat "Corporate" origins...I NEVER AGREED with the Mitsubishi Merger, Or the Daimler Merger, and So far the Fiat merger has yet to be seen.

We needed a Bgger , Better more efficient powerplant, An when the 3.0 L went away, The "2.5-V6 " surfaced...which was In My humble opinion, Chryslers Biggest Piece of $h*t since the 2.6 Mitsu motor....When a CHAIN DRIVEN v6 appeared for a Midsized platform, Everyone stood up and took notice....

The 3.5 was nice, But didnt lend itself to the Midsized platform. You will find all kinds of stories about transplanting a 3.5 into a sebring.......Bunk, Hogwash and Malarchy...unless you want a Sebring with a PIN DOWN hood and an air SNORKEL....

While the majority of the 2.7's are plagued with problems. like the Sludge, and the chain Guides, when I see a 210K motor with no sludge , and it runs quietly....I have no choice but to wonder ..."What exactly did this guy do Differently from all the others"....Usually I get all kinds af Garbage about regular maintenance, and changing the oil every 2000 miles,With synthetic blend oil...(Which says nothing more to me than "He has NO CLUE")...BUT....

Hmmmm...???? I know his story is Garbage.....But the fact still remains , that this car in front of me STILL has the cleanest 2.7 Ive ever seen....MAYBE,....Just Maybe, he has a valid Point......Then Again, Maybe Not....The One Proven Point out of all of them, ...IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE A 2.7L , without The common Issues that turned everyone away.....We just havent figured out how to do it.

As for Catastrophic engine failure.....Maybe because we work with so many different things, we get NUMB to it....BUT, It can Happen to any of them....from a 2.0, to a 6.7 diesel, and everything in between.......$H*T HAPPENS... Not only to Chrysler, But everyone.....You mentioned 6 Cylinder Chevys....Ive had more than my share of drilling off Timing gears that were CHEWED to death, Ive installed more 305 Camshafts than I can Count, And Just to be FAIR, more T/Chains on V8 Fords than I WANT to Count....

End Result...Its all in the LUCK of the DRAW.....

As for Desludging it...If you are willing to take it apart and clean it....Why not Take apart Yours.....Or One of the newer ones and swap gears and Necessary parts??? "If you have to tear into it anyway?????"

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 06-10-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:32 PM

I'll probably Catch Holy Hell for this.....But I really didnt think the 2.7 was THAT BAD.
How many Djinn and Tonics does it take to gret like this?

Your comment regarding the 8 versus 6 cylinderr is just unbelievably asinine.

Thanks for the Laugh though...........

Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Care to Elaborate????

Why is it assinine? And exactly what comparison did I make? Or Are you just one of those Evelyn Wood "Speed Reading" Graduates who Paid attention to nothing but the first thing that caught your EYE, without having a Clue as to how it fits into the conversation.???

In comparison to The Other V6 engines Chrysler Builds, 2.7 is Not any better, But it certainly isnt any worse.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Care to Elaborate????

Why is it assinine? And exactly what comparison did I make? Or Are you just one of those Evelyn Wood "Speed Reading" Graduates who Paid attention to nothing but the first thing that caught your EYE, without having a Clue as to how it fits into the conversation.???

In comparison to The Other V6 engines Chrysler Builds, 2.7 is Not any better, But it certainly isnt any worse.
And exactly what comparison did I make?
The drawback......Its not a V8....Nor is it to be treated as such.....They dont hold up to abuse....
The amount of abuse an engine will take has no relevance as to wether a 4 cylinder.......6...or v8.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Ok...Gotta beg to differ the "OVERALL " point.

A powerful V8, while it will not stand up to abuse in its own right.....Performs a certain way, .....Powerfully.....

Expecting a 4 or 6 cylinder to behave like a V8 was my point.....Standing on the throttle , expecting it to jump to attention like a V8 was designed to do, is , in my opinion, ABUSING IT... Forcing it past its limits expecting it to perform like a V8, and getting frustrated when it doesnt.....Is Abusing it....

Although I have my opinion of the better designed engine.... It really has no bearing on this discussion, But The example I would use is the late model Charger/300..It is available with a 2.7, a 3.5, Or a 5.7/6.1 Hemi V8....... STomping on a 2.7 Charger, Until it grunts like a Hemi, will make short order of its life span. By the same Comparison, Asking a 4 cylinder Sebring to perform like a 2.7 , will yield the same results.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Ok...Gotta beg to differ the "OVERALL " point.

A powerful V8, while it will not stand up to abuse in its own right.....Performs a certain way, .....Powerfully.....

Expecting a 4 or 6 cylinder to behave like a V8 was my point.....Standing on the throttle , expecting it to jump to attention like a V8 was designed to do, is , in my opinion, ABUSING IT... Forcing it past its limits expecting it to perform like a V8, and getting frustrated when it doesnt.....Is Abusing it....

Although I have my opinion of the better designed engine.... It really has no bearing on this discussion, But The example I would use is the late model Charger/300..It is available with a 2.7, a 3.5, Or a 5.7/6.1 Hemi V8....... STomping on a 2.7 Charger, Until it grunts like a Hemi, will make short order of its life span. By the same Comparison, Asking a 4 cylinder Sebring to perform like a 2.7 , will yield the same results.
I see your point to a certain degree but not entirely. This is because the example you use of a 2.7 in a car that weighs nearly 4000 lbs is a classic example of an undersized engine for the job it is expected to do.

A 2.7 is designed for a mid size vehicle (sebring for example)that weighs in closer to 3000 lbs.To make a comparison like this between apples and elephants does not make any legitimate points about a 6 versus an 8 cylinder.

Expecting a 4 or 6 cylinder to behave like a V8 was my point
My point by contrast...........If a 6 or 4 cylinder is properly matched to the size of vehicle..........each within its own function will take the same degree of abuse.

I am sure its a no brainer to conclude that an overworked engine improperly matched to the vehicle weight wont last long.

Again......a 2.7 in a 300 or a charger is doomed no matter how its driven IMO .......its way underpowered for the weight.

No Charge

Quick Reply: 2006 engine in a 2002 Sebring Conv?