Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2007 Sebring not starting up after not being left off long enough

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 06:58 PM
Question 2007 Sebring not starting up after not being left off long enough

So I just had a new alternator put in my 2007 Chrysler Sebring, because it had making a good bit of noise under the hood and I was due for an inspection sticker anyway.

Having this fixed, along with changing my oil/filter (full synthetic), my car earned its new inspection sticker, but it introduced a brand new problem I've never had before.

The car starts up fine for the most part, but something weird is sometimes happening when I turn the car off, spend a short period of time somewhere, and then run back out to turn it back on.

The car cranks, but when I go to shift into reverse or drive, nothing at all happens, and the engine is obviously shut off. Usually when this happens, the tea kettle icon pops up in the dashboard.

This hasn't during any of these times caused a check engine code to be thrown out, and I've even had it scanned for any problems there.

Sometimes, upon a 2nd attempt to start the car, it still won't go into gear, and then the electricity icon pops up instead of the tea kettle (oil?) one.

Basically, it's a frustrating inconvenience, where I can always eventually get the car started, and into gear driving without any issue, but it obviously sucks how it seems to always happen when I do something such as fill up my tank, and then go to start the car back up.

Since it always eventually starts up after being cranky, I can't say it's any of the car's components, since it drives fine and there's no check engine light.

I'm just very confused, and I'm likely going to go to a new mechanic than the one who did the alternator and inspection (he has no clue what the issue is and didn't bother/wasn't able to replicate the problem)

Any ideas, anyone? Thank you so much for reading this, and I'm sorry if I used too many words.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:05 PM

Your description of the problem is very confusing. Does the engine actually start and then stall as you attempt to put the car in gear? Or does it simply not start at all? If the engine is actually started, but the car is still in Park, you should be able to tell by the fact that you can rev up the engine and see the tachometer respond. If the engine has not started at all, there is no point in attempting to put the car in gear. Lights will be on on the dash if the engine has not started or stalls when the key is on.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:38 PM

It stalls when I turn it on with the key. It turns on like everything is fine, then does this rumble and the different gears don’t do anything and the power steering locks, and then the tea kettle symbol appears.

usually when this is happening, the second attempt to start the car and go into gear involves what sounds like trouble with the engine turning over, and I get the electricity symbol rather than the tea kettle.

eventually, I’m always able to eventually start the car and go into gear without any warning dash lights going on within five minutes. I never get a check engine light either

Old 02-01-2020, 02:05 PM

So what you are trying to say is, I think, that you are able to start the engine, but then it stalls. Now , of course, there is no point in trying to put it in gear with a stalled engine, because a stalled engine will never make a car go anywhere. The power steering is driven off the engine, so likewise, when the engine stalls, the power steering will not be available and the steering will be very stiff.

What happens when it does start? Can you rev the engine a little? When does the actual stall occur, when you put it in gear or before that?

What is this "teakettle" icon you are referring to? Look it up in the owners manual and give it its proper name. If you don't have an owners manual, download one from chrysler.com.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 02-01-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:29 PM

So I get the oil pressure warning light when the car fails to stay on when I turn it all the way with the key.

when I take the key out and attempt to turn he car back on, I’ll often get the electronic throttle control light and the car sounds bumpy attempting to turn over.

when I rest for a few minutes without trying anything, I turn the key and the car starts fine and I don’t have any of those lights, and check engine light never comes on during any of this

Old 02-01-2020, 09:01 PM

Obviously, a stalled engine cannot maintain oil pressure. If the engine has stalled, the light will stay on because the oil pump, which is driven by the engine, has stopped turning and is not pumping oil.

Your use of "turn it all the way with the key" and "turn the car back on" is also confusing. There is some proper terminology which you should use. "Turning the car on" can mean turning the key to the "on" position or perhaps you are intending to say you are "starting the engine". These are not the same thing. You "start the engine" by placing the car in Park or neutral, rotating the key clockwise to the "start" position which engages the starter and causes the starter to rotate the engine until the engine "starts". You can tell if the engine has started by observing the tachometer which registers the revolutions per minute (RPM) of the engine. If the engine "stalls" for any reason, the tachometer will register 0 RPM, and usually the oil pressure light and alternator light will come on because the oil pressure has gone to zero since the oil pump and alternator have both stopped because they are driven by the engine.

If you turn the key to "on" from "off" without actually starting the engine, those lights will also come on because the engine is not running and cannot power the oil pump or alternator.

If the engine has been stalling and the electronic throttle control light has come on, there should be an error code stored in the engine computer. Not every code causes the "check engine" light to come on. Try taking the car to an auto parts store and have them scan for codes. In most states, auto parts stores will do this for free.

Not sure what you mean by "the car sounds bumpy attempting to turn over." Is the battery weak? A weak battery will have a difficult time cranking the engine.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:01 AM

Sorry about my confusing English.

So an update, by the way, I know I'm knocking on wood, but I haven't had an engine stall upon starting the engine the past couple of days. I suppose I'm just trying to figure out why it started happening at all, right after having my alternator replaced (it was cranky under the hood before inspection, and was certainly the culprit). I don't like when paying for repairs to get an inspection sticker introduces new issues.

I'm glad the car has been acting totally fine all day today and yesterday. I will admit I still get nervous every time I start the engine, expecting it to eventually stall again and present the oil pressure indicator, followed by the electronic throttle control indicator.

I've had throttle body hygiene problems in the past with this car, and I'm also wondering if perhaps an oil pump or ignition switch is becoming faulty. I guess I'll just let it ride for now, since it's been acting fine the past two days.

Thanks for bearing with me.