Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2008 Sebring cold air intake...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 01:41 PM
Default 2008 Sebring cold air intake...?

Does anyone know if either of the K&N cold air intakes listed below fit the 2008 Sebring?

Possible K&N cold air intake:
69-2542TS (2009 Avenger)
69-2549TS (2013 Avenger/200)

Same motor, same chassis... emailing K&N didn't help...

Old 06-23-2021, 11:40 AM

Searching for various part numbers across different models and years, I have found that Chrysler used to have two separate intake manifolds... one for the '07-'10, another for 2011+... but these have both been superseded by a single manifold available as a replacement. The MAF and throttle body remains the same throughout. Same air box and clean air tube are used from 2007-2014 across the Avenger, Sebring, and 200.

Given that my car has the older version of the intake, I think I will eventually take my chances on the 69-2542TS kit. Gotta finish the front brakes first, then the thermostat housing, then convert the rear drums to BRF disc brakes... then maybe I can think about fancy cold air intakes. Lol.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:47 PM

Look into those "cold air intakes" carefully. I have seen some that put the intake right behind the radiator and have a smaller air filter than the original equipment version. The original intake draws air from outside the engine compartment and probably gets cooler air than the "cold air intake" does. The smaller air filter means that either the flow is constricted or the filtration is not as effective.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:22 PM

K&N filters are not known for their ability to filter air well. But I am more interested in everything else, anyways. Filters can be replaced easily enough, and there are companies whom make similar filters that do actually filter the air that passes through them. Lol.

I do like the design of the plumbing and heat shield, and I can get everything sealed/shrouded to properly direct air where I want it once I get everything in place... IF, assuming, I can get everything else in place. The filter is the least of my worries, honestly. I can put a sand-rail sock over it the K&N element if I am that worried about it.

I have pretty high hopes for the '09 Avenger one fitting... 69-2542TS

Old 06-25-2021, 08:53 PM

I was just under the hood, and I actually think the 69-2549TS model for the 2013 may be a better fit... my air tube goes OVER the top radiator hose, as does the 69-2549TS.

The 2009 model, on the other hand, goes under the top radiator hose (as seen in the picture I posted earlier)... and that just isn't how my car is currently configured.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:46 AM

Why a cold air intake
it cost a lot and you get no horses extra

Old 06-29-2021, 09:27 AM

They generally have better flow than original equipment. Anything that makes moving air in and out of the engine easier is generally a good thing. And I don't like the stupid corrugated flex tube, which the K&N kit happens to have a nice smooth metal tube instead. I like conical air filters more than boxed panel filters. Cold air intakes make fun whistling noises and I can't afford a turbo. Lol.

I really do not care if it adds any noticeable power, as long it moves air into the engine better than the original equipment, I will be happy. Going to put a full exhaust on it, too, if I can find a header that fits... exhausts don't add much power either, but getting air out of the engine easier has benefits that aren't measured by horsepowers. Sure, a terrible exhaust can hold back a good engine, but 90% of the time, exhaust modifications are just noise. I'm not after noise, but I am sure it will be a byproduct of opening up the exhaust path.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
They generally have better flow than original equipment. Anything that makes moving air in and out of the engine easier is generally a good thing. And I don't like the stupid corrugated flex tube, which the K&N kit happens to have a nice smooth metal tube instead. I like conical air filters more than boxed panel filters. Cold air intakes make fun whistling noises and I can't afford a turbo. Lol.

I really do not care if it adds any noticeable power, as long it moves air into the engine better than the original equipment, I will be happy. Going to put a full exhaust on it, too, if I can find a header that fits... exhausts don't add much power either, but getting air out of the engine easier has benefits that aren't measured by horsepowers. Sure, a terrible exhaust can hold back a good engine, but 90% of the time, exhaust modifications are just noise. I'm not after noise, but I am sure it will be a byproduct of opening up the exhaust path.

Oke
But than you must make a hole in your front bumper to get cold air
And not under the hood/bonnet there its the air to warm

Old 06-29-2021, 10:38 AM

For sure. No sense in having a cold air intake that only intakes hot air. Lol.

The K&N has a heat shield blocking the filter element from the rest of the engine bay, and the heat shield is shorter in the front to allow fresh air from the seam of the hood. The original air box has snorkles that access this same seam under the hood for fresh air.

I will be ducting/shrouding the radiator when I still the cold air intake, and will make sure airflow is guided where I want it. I am not opposed to trimming the front lip of the hood to open up that seam where the cold air intake will be, although I would probably just add a dedicated naca duct opening if I was that worried about it.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:12 AM

Quick Reply: 2008 Sebring cold air intake...?