Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2008 Sebring Need Calibration Procedure For HVAC actuators

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 09:44 AM
Default 2008 Sebring Need Calibration Procedure For HVAC actuators

I have a 2008 Sebring Limited with Automatic Temperature Control for the heat and air. I have looked everywhere to find the sequence of buttons to push to calibrate all 4 doors of the air flow actuators. I found the instructions for the manual heat and air controls but not for a Sebring with ATC. The actuators are operating at weird times such as just opening the car door and I am hoping this will fix that. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks

Old 11-14-2022, 10:45 PM

Calibration sequence for a minivan, post # 8

https://www.chryslerminivan.net/thre...ocedure.98754/

Old 11-14-2022, 10:47 PM

The ATC controls the fan speed and actuators to maintain the temperature you have set. Opening the car doors may be introducing a flood of cold air into the interior of the car and may be causing the ATC to try to counteract that by cranking up the heat. If the car interior is warmed up it is not uncommon for the ATC to back off the fan speed to reduce the amount of heat coming in to a "maintenance" level to keep the temperature to what you have set. It's sort of like the thermostat in your house shutting off the furnace when the house reaches the set temperature and turning the furnace on when somebody opens the front door in cold weather. What you are describing doesn't sound like unusual behavior for an ATC system. It is best operated by setting a comfortable temperature and leaving it there, if adjustment is necessary, keep the adjustments small, like 0ne or two degrees. Cranking it up to a high temperature, then cranking down a bunch when you are too hot (or worse, opening a window) will just confuse the system.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The ATC controls the fan speed and actuators to maintain the temperature you have set. Opening the car doors may be introducing a flood of cold air into the interior of the car and may be causing the ATC to try to counteract that by cranking up the heat. If the car interior is warmed up it is not uncommon for the ATC to back off the fan speed to reduce the amount of heat coming in to a "maintenance" level to keep the temperature to what you have set. It's sort of like the thermostat in your house shutting off the furnace when the house reaches the set temperature and turning the furnace on when somebody opens the front door in cold weather. What you are describing doesn't sound like unusual behavior for an ATC system. It is best operated by setting a comfortable temperature and leaving it there, if adjustment is necessary, keep the adjustments small, like 0ne or two degrees. Cranking it up to a high temperature, then cranking down a bunch when you are too hot (or worse, opening a window) will just confuse the system.
I may have not been plain in my request for help. I have owned the car for a year and am familiar with how the ATC operates. If the temperature control and fan control is set to auto the heat or A/C will run the fan until the correct temperature is reached and then the fan will turn off or slow down . My fan is not coming on no matter if you set it to auto or to high. I set the fan to high so I could hear it come on and I set the temperature to 80 so I know the car should be in heat mode. I rove the car about 20 miles and the fan came on twice for about 10-20 seconds each time. The temp inside the car was about 50 degrees. When I was sitting at a light the car was quiet and I could hear the fan coming on slightly and then slowing to nothing. This went on several times while I was at the light. It was like an interior temperature sensor was intermittently telling the fan to turn on because it was cold in the car. My guess is the fan is fine but whatever tells it to turn on is intermittent. My question is what is the most effective way to find the problem?

Old 11-15-2022, 09:30 AM

The ATC is computer controlled, as you know. Almost always, when there is a malfunction, the computer will set an error code to record the malfunction. The error code should be a guide to making the repair. For things like climate control, an ordinary parts-store type scanner won't be able to dig down deep enough to find that error code. The type of scanner they have at the dealership should be able to bring up those codes. A few high-end service facilities might have the necessary scanner. Since those scanners are very expensive (like ~$15,000+) you won't find a lot of places outside a dealership with one. Alternatively, you could start throwing parts at it, such as the fan control module and hope you get lucky but that could wind up costing a lot of money and still not fix the problem.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:20 PM

Thank you for your time and advice.