Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

97' Sebring Convertible - No Start/No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Default 97' Sebring Convertible - No Start/No Spark

Ok. I've read to much at this point. I've read close to a million or 2 posts.. Here is my problem and what I've done..

Ran fine then wouldn't start at all.. Had no spark. Did the on-off-on-off-on and got the code 11.. I replaced the distributor because from what I read it seemed to be the crankshaft sensor.. The car sat about a month and a half before I got the new distributor, not to mention my girlfriend tried to start it with the distributor off so it was a pain to put back on. Had to find TDC on the #1 plug, which I did.. Anyways.. Got it all back together and its the same.. No spark. I have a manual and am mechanically inclined but am not sure were to go. The only codes I'm getting now are the one indicating the battery had been removed and 55 saying that it was the end of codes. Now that I say that I can't remember if it was code 11 or 12 but whatever it was it directly referred to the crankshaft/camshaft sensor. But that code is now gone.

What can I do now and did I even provide enough info?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 PM

You say you found TDC for the #1 cylinder; did you find it on the compression stroke? There are two TDC's for each revolution of the distributor, so you have to find it for the compression stroke.

Do you have fuel coming through the injectors?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Well.. I had a compression gauge in the #1 spark plug hole. I waited until I had pressure starting to build up. I then took a wooden dowel and put it in the spark plug hole and worked the crankshaft up and down until I was sure I was at the top. Does that mean the compression stroke? Not sure about the injectors.. I probably should check that and didn't because I didn't have spark but would assume that may indicate if it was something like the auto shutdown relay or something.

I assumed my problem was no spark.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Did I do the right procedure for finding TDC atleast?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm sorry, I know I'm tearing my own thread up..

In my original post I mentioned code 11.. I'm actually getting a code 12 and 55.. The code 11 I was getting before I replaced the camshaft sensor. Being the code 12 says, "Camshaft and/or crankshaft sensor" the only option I guess I had left was the crankshaft sensor. I was confused because I was no longer getting a code and have since assumed this is because the car has not ran yet. So, I pulled the crankshaft sensor out and still no codes so I proved that theory correct. Is there some way to test this sensor to know for sure its faulty?

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Sounds like you've properly found TDC.

The cranksaft sensor works by having a 5 volt signal applied to it. As the crank turns, notches machined into the crank pass under the sensor causing the voltage to change from high to low as the notches pass by. If you have an oscilloscope you can watch the voltage change but I suspect you don't have an oscilloscope handy. If you can get probes carefully into the plug you may be able to check to see if the voltage is varying while cranking. The sensor will need to be in position and plugged in for this. You should be able to pick up the varying voltage with a voltmeter set for a low voltage AC reading. Or you could get a new crank sensor and stick it in.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Yeah, my girlfriend works at a wholesale auto parts warehouse so she got one today at a much lower price than I was getting at the normal parts store. I will replace it tonight. Can't imagine what else it could be. The good thing in my mind is that the code 11 I was getting prior to working on it states crankshaft or camshaft so after I put in that part both will have been replaced. I'll be happy to atleast be getting some kind of spark. I'll let you know if it worked.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 AM

And thanks for the help.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 AM

"my girlfriend works at a wholesale auto parts warehouse so she got one today at a much lower price"

Hold on to that girlfriend! ;-)

Old 11-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
"my girlfriend works at a wholesale auto parts warehouse so she got one today at a much lower price"

Hold on to that girlfriend! ;-)
Yeah really.. I was blown away by the price difference. I feel like I have been getting raped for years at the auto parts store.

I really, really hope this fixes it or I will be out of ideas.. Or atleast get me spark so I can move on to whatever else.. Are these things that much of a problem?

Quick Reply: 97' Sebring Convertible - No Start/No Spark