Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

97 Sebring no radio, blower motor & anti lock dash light on

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Default 97 Sebring no radio, blower motor & anti lock dash light on

Hi guys I just joined this forum because I have a question i can't find an answer to and was hoping someone here could help. The car is a 1997 Sebring LxI that my son drives, the other day it wouldn't start. After getting the battery fully charged we got it home and after checking the voltage at the battery found it to only be 11.88 volts. Had the alternator checked and it was bad so I replaced it ( not a easy job by the way ) checked the battery again and still 11.88 volts. We found the fuse in the engine compartment for the alternator/ choke was blown and replaced it, the battery now shows 14.33 volts and it starts every time. Now the problem is the blower motor doesn't work, the radio doesn't work and the anti lock dash light is on. My son tells me these all worked fine before the alternator problem. I checked all the fuses inside and out and they are all good. I tested the blower motor and it works when jumped, I replaced the blower motor resistor and still no blower motor at any speed. My question is, is there a fusible link somewhere that would have blown that would cause these things to all stop at the same time? I am concerned that with the anti lock brake dash light being on that they will not work, not to mention not being able to defrost the windows. If you all need more info please let me know and I will try to provide anything I can. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Doubtful that these are all related to a single thing. The anti-lock brakes have a module that controls them. If the light is on, there is a fault code stored in the computer that can be read with the proper equipment. The usual parts store code reader may or may not be able to get down to that code and read it.

Not sure what you mean by "choke" as these cars are fuel injected and don't have a choke.

It's not unheard of that a radio can be blown while jump starting a car due to the voltage surge. You will probably need to trace down these problems one-by-one.

See if you can find some wiring information at 12volt.com

Old 11-12-2014, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the parts store code reader and it showed no codes, I'm guessing this will have to be done at a dealer? As for the choke, that's what it says on the top of the cover for the fuse box in the engine compartment, i don't know why it says that but, it does. I will try the web site you recommended for the wiring on the radio. It just seemed odd that all these things happened at the same time, that's why I thought they would be related. The blower motor has me a bit confused though. I took the motor out and jumped it and it ran fine so I replaced the resistor since that's what all the info I could find, said would be the most common problem. But that didn't fix it. I had to buy one for a Mitsubishi 3000gt because the chrysler one had a different plug in on it. I notice there is a relay ( or something that looks like a small relay )on the passenger side footwell right near the blower motor is there a way to test this and see if that would be causing the blower motor not to run? It has no speeds at all now. Thank you.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:19 PM

Sebring coupes were built by Mitsubishi, and have essentially no parts in common with Chrysler-built convertibles or sedans.
You might find more information on a Mitsubishi forum.
I have no idea what "choke" they are referring to with the notation on the fusebox cover. Maybe it's a mis-translation from Japanese.
Not sure about your vehicle but later Sebrings ran the blower through the body computer so the problem could be there or in the switch on the dash, or the wiring in between.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:27 PM

Thank you again for replying. I will check a Mitsubishi forum and see what that turns up. Thanks again for your help.